New Flash Drives To Be Used for iPods?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by gkarris, Jun 27, 2007.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Samsung just released a 64Gig Flash drive along side their 32 Gig model - harking back to the original 5th Gen iPod capacities:
    http://www.samsung.com/PressCenter/PressRelease/PressRelease.asp?seq=20070625_0000356219

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9734811-7.html

Is flash really the future we are looking for? I'm having to constantly recharge my 60Gig iPod the more I use it...

Wow, imagine a touchscreen widescreen iPod with 120 Gig flash - that would be awesome. I'm willing to wait another year (I think my 60Gig iPod will fill up long before then, though).

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if those are notebook sized drives, they'll be much too big for the iPod. but good progress nonetheless.

3. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

You're going to be waiting much more than a year for a flash based 120GB iPod, these mentioned drives are for notebook computers not iPods. 100 or 120GB iPods may come this next revision, but they will most certainly be Hard Drive based not flash.

4. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

That's just the enclosure. They can easily forgo the enclosure and put it in an iPod, especially one that's the iPhone size...

Prices should plummit quickly...

5. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I think the most logical approach pricewise is for apple to wait for cheaper 30 and 60Gb 1.8" SSD's to use it the iPod, yes it would probably be taking an initial step backwards due to the high demand for larger HDD's but people will see the speed and lack of moving parts as a plus and will hail the product as innovative. Introducing SSD iPod's this year would be far too costly i'de say maybe let '08 for a 30 and 60 Gb SSD ipod at price points of the original 5G iPods.

But thats just my SPECULATION...

EDIT: I just checked SSD prices, I'de actually say late '09 instead of '08 as originally as SSD's are damn costly. Especially 1.8"ers. So unless flash prices plummet like never before i wont see these any time soon. At least not for the prices consumers are willing to pay.