New Flash on Air 2,1

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by PittAir, Aug 11, 2010.

1. PittAir macrumors regular

I downloaded the new Flash 10.1 on my 2,1 air with the 9400 graphics chipset.

I know it may be hard to believe, but flash videos now run with about 40% of the CPU as before, and there is no more maxing out the CPU or temperature when running video.

Mind you, these are only 10-20 minute tests, but this may be something. Has anyone else tried this?

I am surprised not to see a thread yet.

2. cleric macrumors 6502a

cleric

Yup it's pretty well documented I think quite a few of us have been using the Gala release with the hardware acceleration for quite a few months now.

3. PittAir thread starter macrumors regular

thanks

I realized after posting this that the update is Gala.

4. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Everyone at Apple wants to blame Adobe, but the truth is Apple had denied low-level API access for h.264 hardware acceleration of the Nvidia GPUs.

The MBA just keeps getting better and better, when equipped with the Nvidia 9400m. With the driver, OpenCL, OpenGL, and finally third-party h.264 hardware acceleration API access, the MBA is more capable and powerful than ever. It is a much better and faster computer than it was when introduced in October 2008... and it should get better and better.

I believe Apple finally caved on the computer front because it decided that they would fight their battles on iOS with Adobe and give in on the computer front. It is great news for us Mac users.

With the government allowing jailbreaking of iOS products, I believe Apple will be able to deny Adobe from reaching iOS products... people can jailbreak their iPad and iPhone and install Adobe's Flash if they want it... best of both worlds for everyone involved... just too bad Apple cannot change its business model to care more about customers who are without Flash on premier products.