New folders appearing in HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jjykim, Jun 13, 2011.

1. jjykim, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011

jjykim macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post this, but here goes.

I recently clicked on the HD icon on my desktop and was surprised to see half a dozen new folders that didn't use to be there. I've attached a screen shot of those folders. Could anyone tell me what these are and if I can remove/move them so my HD folder doesn't look so cluttered?

And also, the file .DS_Store appears EVERYWHERE on my mac...I tried deleting it, but it reappears. ANy idea on how to get rid of this nuisance?

Attached Files:

2. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Those are all folders that are normally hidden. DO NOT THROW THEM AWAY. They are important system files. Somehow you have enabled "show hidden files" either through a terminal command or some third party maintenance app like Onyx.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Do not remove any directories unless you are absolutely sure you know what they are for and whether or not you need them. *NIX has lots of folders it creates that are normally hidden; leave them alone.

The .DS_Store is an OSX oddity; there is one per directory. From Wikipedia: .DS_Store (Desktop Services Store)[1] is a hidden file created by Apple Inc.'s Mac OS X operating system to store custom attributes of a folder such as the position of icons or the choice of a background image.[2]"

4. jjykim thread starter macrumors newbie

Great. Is there any way to hide these folders? Thanks :)

5. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

Open a terminal (Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) and run the command:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

You then need to restart finder. either run killall Finder or option right click finder in the dock and select relaunch.

I don't understand how you set them to show in the first place. They are hidden by default.

6. jjykim thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!! This worked!!!!

7. jjykim thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

For some odd reason, after I ran that function, when I click on the HD folder on my desktop, this is what pops up...a folder called Volumes. I don't see my Application folders...what could be the issue?

Attached Files: