New Folders Not Opening in Windows OR Tabs-Change clicks?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by VideoBeagle, Dec 25, 2013.

1. VideoBeagle, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013

VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

I just upgraded to Mavericks.
    So for, more ick than mav.

Opening a folder opens it only in the original window, not in a tab, nor in a new window.

Doesn't matter what the check box in Finder Preferences is set to.

Of three potential options, same window, New window, Tabs, this is the worst option.

2. VideoBeagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Flipping thru the Macworld review of Mavericks, I see you need to CMD-double click to open a folder in a new window or tab.....

How asinine is that?

So you actually have to click three times to anything. Once to select what you want to open (because if you cmd-click on a folder in a window, anything that might be selected already will stay selected) then cmd double click.

Way to break something Apple.

Anyway to change this behavior?

3. kaibob macrumors regular

I do not know how to change the behavior you describe. However, I thought I would add some brief notes.

If a file is selected in Finder, and I double-click on a folder, then the folder is opened in the same window. This makes sense to me. However, if a file is selected in Finder, and I command-double-click on a folder, then the file is opened in the default app AND the folder is opened in a new tab or window. This seems a bit inconsistent, and I would like to see it changed.

As you note, there is an option in Finder preferences to "Open folders in tabs instead of new windows." This determines whether a command-double-click opens a folder in a new window or a new tab. It also determines whether the right-click menu shows "Open in new tab" or "Open in new window." On my computer, this option works as expected.

It is a matter of personal preference, but I prefer that a double-click opens a folder in the same window and that a command-double-click opens a folder in a new tab. Otherwise, when using Finder, I would very quickly have way too many tabs open.

Anyways, sorry that I can't be of more direct help.

4. VideoBeagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

In the past, you could decide if double click opens in a new window or same window.

With the new tab option, you SHOULD be able to choose your behaviors (I would like double click for new window, cmd double for tab, for example).

Of course Apple is getting progressively bad on letting users choose how things work.