New for me - suddenly dropped calls

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Arelunde, May 23, 2012.

1. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

I've had my iPhone 4 on Vz for a year without any problems. In the last couple weeks, it's dropping calls on a regular basis, even though I have at least 4 bars. I almost always use the speaker with the phone on a table or desk - nothing touching it. Usually, I've been talking for at least 15 minutes. There have been calls where it's dropped several times.

I've changed cases, in case one of them was interfering with the signal. I've done hard resets. I keep the multi-tasking dock "clean". I've done the *228 thing, both options (just in case). This is increasingly problematic.

Research on the web just brings up the Antennagate era; nothing more recent. I'm aware of the left-hand holding issue that covers the lower left side corner where the receptors are.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

2. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

I have some sort of feeling it has to do with 5.1.1, since you are saying that and I've had the same issue and i'm on AT&T

Not sure what exactly would cause it, but in my office building I've never once had a dropped call. Within the past week, I've had about 15 calls fail, all of them after I've been on the phone already talking for about 15-20 minutes.
    I was talking, then the call would drop, then the next 2 attempts couldn't even get through. Like you OP i had 4 bars of signal.

3. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

You're not the only one. I've had VZW for 3 years now and in that span I've had about a handful of dropped calls. A couple of days ago, I had 4 dropped calls in consecutive days.

I did the *228 thing as well. I believe it's a network issue on VZW's end.

BTW, I'm on 5.0.1.....so definitely NOT a software related issue as the poster above suggests.

4. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I suspect the span line to the site is having issues.

I'd call 611 on your iPhone and talk to Verizon technical support about it. If you have times when the calls dropped, they'll be handy. Verizon takes this sort of thing pretty seriously.

5. Arelunde thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Interesting. I've been on 5.1.1 ever since it was released, but it's only the last week or so that the dropped calls have been occurring. Today, another two, yesterday two. Each time, I was sitting at my desk in a corner of the office and by a window. Three bars and, as I mentioned, on Verizon. Until recently, this is where my phone has been for nearly all calls... with no problem.

When the call today started to drop the second time (they couldn't hear me, but I could hear them before they were gone), I quickly changed my position to where there were 4-5 bars (a couple feet away) and the call picked up again without dropping. Go figure! :confused:

6. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Both me and my wife were dropping calls like crazy a couple days ago, we both have AT&T. I was showing full signal and I couldn't even make a call for at least 30 min.