New Force Touch Track Pad, but no Broadwell????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eldervovichka, May 18, 2016.

1. eldervovichka, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 18, 2016

eldervovichka macrumors regular

**** Never mind.... I was reading rumors this morning and one of the ones I was reading was from last year and didn't look at that date. This is what happens when you are too excited about wanting to buy a new Apple product and you are up too early and reading rumors while sleepy. Sorry for being that guy!****

Am I seeing things correctly!!!!! I have been waiting to buy a new MacBook Pro.... the tech page still says 4th Gen Processors.... on the 15". To pay $2500 and still get the old processor is disappointing, now do I wait and see if they do anything with the 13" at WWDC?

Jeff

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Wait for an update.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You are correct, there are no new MacBooks yet, as Intel has just recently released the skylake chipset with decent GPUs for Apple's laptops. Apple was waiting just like us

4. eldervovichka thread starter macrumors regular

No, Apple just updated the 15" as they didn't have Force Touch Track Pads before, only the 13" did. The rumor was they were also going to get the new processors today, but since that didn't happen, we won't likely see it on June 13th.

5. drewfus macrumors 6502

drewfus

The 15" was updated just about a year ago (May 19th, 2015) with the Force Touch trackpad, so there's a fairly good possibility that there's an update coming.

6. eldervovichka thread starter macrumors regular

Got it, I don't know what I was looking at... Thanks for setting me straight! Still looking forward for a new updates!

7. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Intel released skylake a long time ago......

8. Closingracer macrumors 68000

The 15 inch wasn't updated with broadwell since Intel decided they aren't making quad core variants since it was delayed and skylake was going to be released soon by then. Skylake was released around Fall 2015

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

10. Closingracer macrumors 68000

11. dallegre macrumors member

dallegre

He's talking about the 6770, 6870, 6970 chips with the Iris Pro 580 GPU. These are new.

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, that's probably another reason, but I do think they typically keep their release schedule fairly rigid, i.e., it will get released when they're ready.

14. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yeah I love that about Apple no bowing to pressure, no rush to get the latest thing out with no thought to quality and stability (I'm looking at you surface book) and a quality first attitude to tech not latest is always greatest no matter how poorly it's implemented we see in other manufacturers.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, the SurfaceBook really stumbled out of the gate and it took MS a long time to resolve the issues, too long. I like the SB and was tempted, but it was very expensive and I couldn't justify that much money, especially on a gen 1 product which for once I used some level of intelligence (which I normally don't :) )

Apple may though be a little more aggressive in its product line, given how they are experiencing such a large drop off last quarter.

16. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Those are pretty old still ..... I can make an argument they should just wait for Kaby lake or whatever the next one is...
    --- Post Merged, May 19, 2016 ---

It is as expensive as a Macbook pro... Honestly once you pass the $1,000 mark its all "expensive"
    --- Post Merged, May 19, 2016 ---

It took Apple 2-3 years to replace the Nvidia 750M inside? doubt they are waiting for that

17. dallegre macrumors member

dallegre

Have they actually shipped in anything yet? AFAIK, they are just barely starting to leak into benchmarks.

18. Closingracer macrumors 68000

If anybody decided to use them is a whole different story

19. dallegre macrumors member

dallegre

I'm pretty sure it's a matter of availability and not will. Intel's own product is just now getting to the market.

20. Closingracer macrumors 68000

And Apple is notoriously slow in adapting new tech inside their devices.... Be it their phones, tablets or etc

21. dallegre macrumors member

dallegre

Okay, but in this specific case, if Apple is waiting on these chips (as people speculate) to release new MBPs soon (as people speculate), they'll be introducing new tech quite quickly. We'll find out soon enough whether or not that actually happens at WWDC (as people are speculating).

22. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Skylake is already over 6 months old and Kaby lake is right around the corner....TBH I would just wait until the Fall or even early 2017 to update their devices.

23. dallegre macrumors member

dallegre

Sigh...wow, okay.

24. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

From their recent earnings- Apple has dipped in sales and that is likely because of no new hardware. Not to be rude but, how would waiting fix the sales issue? So they'd have a stronger product in ~8 months?

Realistically I agree. Waiting is better as the current CPUs are still amazing. Heck, CPUs that are a couple years older are still amazing.

The part of my opinion you may disagree with: I think the issue is that software is poorly written nowadays. Take Chrome (no extensions) for example. How is it acceptable for it to easily take 20-40% of a modern mobile CPU to display a gif? An iPod can do this just fine and just as fast. Oh and if you get some flash in there, goodbye battery in 3 hours. (I know if the speed increases it can complete the task faster resulting in less total energy, etc. but what if it stays on screen for an extended period of time).

What I am saying is is that for most consumers a new cpu is not needed if software was written better so I agree that waiting is better. Maybe just for other reasons.