New form factor - better signal strength?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wjlafrance, Jun 21, 2010.

1. wjlafrance macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

Several months ago, I bought an iPhone and put down my school as my primary usage location, despite the fact that AT&T said iPhone wasn't available in my area. I looked at their 3G coverage map and I'm good on that, so I figured, whatever - I can return it.

I got home with my shiny new phone. I had two bars of EDGE in my drive way, no service throughout most of my house, and one bar for brief periods in window sills, etc. My point is, there's ALMOST service in my house.

It's no secret the previous iPhones were riddled with poor antenna engineering. With the new case being an antenna itself, what are my chances of actually getting signal?

Thanks.

2. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I would say greatly higher. I wouldn't be so quick to blame the phone though either. There are many variables that could cause that situation.

Either way, the entire design of the phone was based around it being an antenna. I expect it to be a signifcant difference from previous models.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I can almost never get a call through in my bedroom. I go to my den and it usually sometimes almost works. I walk into the back yard and can usually get 2 or 3 bars. Ah, the bloody awesomeness of semi-rural living. If the iPhone 4 doesn't improve this, I may have to break down and get one of those AT&T MicroCells. I would hate paying more for just getting phone service, but it's hard to rely on spotty reception as your only phone. I have a landline for stuff like emergencies, but damn.

4. wjlafrance thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't have a landline (still live with my parents), and I can't even get a MicroCell because I have satellite internet (epic latency, limited bandwidth / day). I'm sort of worried about getting / returning another iPhone, since it might affect my credit.

5. Jemi9OD macrumors regular

Jemi9OD

I'd see if anybody you know locally is going to get an iPhone 4, and if so, if they'd be willing to either come to your house to test signal strength once they get it, or let you borrow it. (Probably the former, hehe)

That's how I tested the iPhone 3G signal strength at our house - Alltel's signal is really bad here, so I wanted to know if AT&T's was any better. I borrowed a coworker's iPhone for lunch and took it home with me and tested it at various points in the house. AT&T was a clear winner where I live.

6. LFSimon macrumors regular

LFSimon

have you considered getting a Microcell? http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/3gmicrocell/

7. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    A while back I found what I think could be the patent application (not under Apple's name) for this antenna.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20100007564.pdf

It doesn't claim that it's better at anything except saving space. And that the bezel can add case strength to prevent breakage when dropped.

Interestingly, one of its variations is electrically bridging isolated bezel sections to accomodate different frequency ranges, although the iPhone probably doesn't use that.

8. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Still, the iPhone 4's antennas are clearly larger than the antennas on previous versions. It seems reasonable to think that they might get better reception.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It doesn’t claim anything, but does point out how it can improve antenna efficiency.