New FORUM Needed - iPhone Game Codes or similar

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by SFC Archer, Mar 25, 2009.

?

Should there be a sub-forum for codes?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    88.2%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Don't Care

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I am making a motion to MR to create a new forum titled along the lines of:

iPhone Game Codes or similiar

The "App Store" is being completely overrun by posting after posting for codes for old and new games coming out. This is only going to increase and make it so much more difficult to use this forum as originally intended.

I come to the App Store forum to read reviews, find new apps and discuss various subjects that relate directly to the app store. When I come here now, almost 50% of my first page is about codes for this and for that and finding interesting new reviews and releases has become a nightmare.

I have nothing against the code threads but feel that due to the number of games that are currently using and more coming that this forum will no longer be useful to its intent.

Please respond in support of having MR set up a new forum just for these guys and gals so that they have there own area to post all the codes and game sharing they want.

Thank You for your Support

2. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Agreed.
    It's getting annoying with all those code threads running around.
    Not sure about the game code thread though. It just seems too specialized.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    This has been brought up before, and I agree that it should be taken into consideration and moved to it's own forum.

My Thread: link :)

Another Thread: link 2

I want to be able to ignore all these annoying threads..

4. SFC Archer thread starter macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

This is not quite what I was referring to. Getting the app promo codes for the app store is related and fits in the store. It lets us know what is new, try out some and review, get feedback and opinion...all of this is related to the app store and they die and get pushed out of the way fairly quickly.

It is all of the:

2 Mafia Code Threads
    5 Undead Series Codes
    2 iMobster/iMob
    Agency Wars
    Simplify Media could fit in here too
    and all of the High Score threads

Currently after a refresh...out of the first 13 threads, 7 are codes related and they stay there all the time and the store stuff for developers is pushed out and buried. They have a hard enough time selling...why should they be buried by something that could have its own forum???

These or similiar could safely have their own forum and be better for it. The App Store could be the app store again and the codes/highscores or share with me thread could be a place to go.

This should not affend or inconvienance anyone and in all respects would make it a better place for both sides. Easier to search, easier to review, easier to group with those that fit your social preference.

Just my opinion and others that I have talked to.

5. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

New sub category is needed here.

MacRumors needs to add a sub category on the App Store to move all the threads for the social games into, like iMob, Undead, iMafia and so on...

The App store section is getting to a point where it's difficult to look through, to find threads that are app store related.

Not that this thread is exactly "app store" related, but hopefully you guys agree. I'm not saying do away with those posts, just find a place to keep them all, away from the main app store section.

Anyway, rant over.

6. dthmtlgod macrumors 6502

I agree 101%

7. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

There are currently 12 on page one. It's maddening.

8. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Gotta say I agree. I think that App promo codes should stay here (I suppose) but it's really annoying to see the Mafia or iMob etc constantly in a majority of the top threads... I'm sure if you play those games its useful, but for the people that don't and just want App news/advice/etc it'd be better in another thread.

9. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

This really needs to be looked at seriously by the mods...

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I concur. All the spam from app developers with free codes for all their crap is extremely irritating.

I'm almost surprised MR allows any of it at all.

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It is and has been for a wee while. We've noted this thread. Please give us some time to implement a solution that takes all aspects into account.

12. SFC Archer thread starter macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Thank you B.V. Acknowledgment from the Moderators and MR that this is being worked is greatly appreciated and a sense of relief. I know that it takes time and that it must be set up fairly for all concerned.

The poster above you stated again about promo codes being moved also and I disagree with this. Promo codes are a direct relation to the app store and the success of developers so I believe they should stay. They die rather quickly anyway and once all the promo's are gone the thread falls away quickly. It was not my intent to remove the promo threads from the app store in this post, just the continuous game codes and share with me threads.

Thank you again for seeing that this needs to be fixed and I look forward to the final outcome.

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It's really a process that the administrators (gods) are going through with the mods feeding back, and forum members chipping in in threads like this. But as we all know, the gods move in mysterious ways...

If I had an idea of a timescale and was able to tell you what it was, I would. Keep an eye out for a possible reply from Arn, Doctor Q or WildCowboy at some point.

14. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

I agree entirely. But according to the rules I just read, MR doesn't allow unsolicited advertising. Which the iPhone apps forum is absolutely full of. So given that a rule already exists, why is it not enforced at all?
    Thats half the problem right there..

I guess this is slightly off topic however, as the OP's complaint appears to be directed at game codes rather than general app promo codes. But to be honest, they are much the same to me, and equally as irritating. It all detracts from the intended purpose of the Apps forum.

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Because a decision was taken to wholeheartedly support the developer community for the new platform, a process that has considerable rewards for the community as a whole. Don't think we're just ignoring spam.

16. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I agree with the OP, and especially with another post that was made that made the point that promo code threads die out quickly anyways after the codes are gone. The ones for in-game codes or whatever they are (iMob etc) just keep going and going and going and going.

I was looking for this thread to see if it was acknowledge, so to the mods/etc that are at least looking into it.. thank you!

17. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

i understand the need to support the developer community, but if a person's first post is in the App section as an ad for their app, that is clearly spam.

Would a much less stringent version of the Marketplace rules be appropriate?

For example, ANYONE can add to an existing thread, but a minimum post level, say 20-25, would be needed to START a thread?

it would welcome everyone to discuss the apps, but it would be a small deterrent for those posting just to advertise.

Or could threads be tagged as "ad" at the beginning of the thread title, so we know that it is an ad?

18. SFC Archer thread starter macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

A Very SAD affair...

Even after concern has been repeatedly brought up, the App Store Forum continues to die and be a code site. There are currently 17 threads on the first page dedicated solely to game codes. Brand new apps are being released daily and less and less posters are visiting a forum that is dying. Reviews have declined and even promo codes are getting less and less because posters are tired of seeing the same old threads over and over and over.

I personally am done posting in the App Store Forum until all the Code threads are gone...it is just ridiculous and has ruined a very important forum for Developers and those looking for reviews and new releases.

:(:(:(

19. dbknightx macrumors member

The endless "add my family" code requests in the Apps forum is nauseating. I've actually stopped reading it regularly for this reason alone...

20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It is fairly standard practice for changes to take forever to be made here.

Hopefully after no doubt unnecessarily lengthy discussions behind the scenes something will be done soon though.

Supporting developers is one thing, letting the Apps forum turn in to a spam haven for them to drop their codes in and leave is quite another IMO.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I hear you. Rules is rules.

BTW, doesn't your signature violate forum rules?

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

23. SFC Archer thread starter macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Uhm, not that I am aware of. It has been this way since I joined and no one has said anything. I added the last line when the commercial came out.

No one has ever complained, no one has said that it is illegal so if it is in violation, then please let me know what part is or what offends you.

:confused::confused::confused:

24. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

:D
    I think it's that it should all be in one line, putting line breaks between everything wastes space. I read about it somewhere, and I'll try to find it for you.

25. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules
    The signature can't be longer than 6 lines, so you're getting pretty close, but you're still legal right now. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.