New Fring version... supposedly with push notification?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johngardiner, Apr 6, 2009.

1. johngardiner macrumors regular

Just got an update for fring in itunes so went to their website to check out what's new. According to this push notification is included in the release but it's not working for me yet.. does anyone else have it running? Maybe I'm just reading it wrong who knows haha.

2. kzoojason76 macrumors member

It's not working for you because push notification isn't working for anyone yet. Look for it in 3.0

3. johngardiner thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I should have mentioned I have 3.0 beta 2.

4. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

5. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

Oh, never mind.

6. Justen macrumors member

You've got it all wrong. That's not push notification. This update just sends what people send you when you exit out of the program to your email.

7. johngardiner thread starter macrumors regular

Ah k, well it hasn't done that yet either lol. Beejive ftw.

8. F1ReMaN macrumors newbie

more details about this feature

http://www.fring.com/blog/?p=1083

From the blog:
    "The new Always-On feature keeps you logged into fring even when the fring application is closed on your iPhone/iPod touch."

9. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A259g Safari/525.20)

It doesn't matter. No apps can be published to the App Store with the push code until 3.0 is released. You can't submit an app compiled for 3.0. It's pseudo push, like Beejive. There will be no actual pushing apps until the summer. And they couldn't have even done extensive testing if they did have real push because the push servers have only been online for about 3 days now.

10. scstsut macrumors newbie

fring just updated; now has real push

version 1.2.0.8 has real push; i haven't figured out how long it will keep one logged in (currently eBuddy and Nimbuzz only keep you logged in for 30min which is useless for push; AIM will keep you logged in for 24hours)

Fring's push pop-ups don't include the message sent, though. You'll have to open Fring to see if it's important enough to open Fring up. (Again AIM got it right (and did it first); you can set how much info you want in the pop-up; too bad the people I IM are on gTalk!)

11. navajarunner macrumors regular

navajarunner

I can confirm. Push is indeed working now with Fring. Works pretty well! How long will Fring keep a person logged on for(after exiting the app)...?

12. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

so fring has to be open in order to receive calls? I get a push notification that a number tried to call, then it shows up as a missed call