New fullscreen behaviour in 10.7.3?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by adamtheturtle, Feb 9, 2012.

1. adamtheturtle macrumors member

Sorry if this is not new, or has been noted before. In 10.7.3, fullscreen-ing an app when it is on a non-primary display fullscreens it on that display.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Nice. Haven't used my laptop with an external display since I updated, but that will be very handy for me most likely. Now if only we could switch spaces independently on each display.

jW

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's the way it works in Snow Leopard and Leopard, as well.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

That's because full screen mode is something supported only on a per-app basis prior to Lion, and that's how the developers almost universally chose to do it. In Lion, apps using the built-in full screen API were automatically placed on the main display. Apple fixed that now. Full screen in Lion is entirely different from full screen in previous versions of Mac OS X, due to it's integration with Mission Control and Spaces, so handling of this is still a little off.

jW

5. gumblecosby macrumors 6502

Thats strange. Mine still goes to the primary display only on 10.7.3

6. dmrowley macrumors 6502

dmrowley

Mine too...goes to my iMac screen, and my 2nd screen just goes to a blank gray background... Still broken and useless in my opinion....

7. starter15 macrumors newbie

8. blow45 macrumors 68000

mine goes up some apple devs behind to be quite frank, which was the intended purpose I suppose to begin with as this is the only rational explanation I can find for this mess..

9. WCLPeter macrumors newbie

Yes, mine does this too.

I'm shocked that Apple would release software with such an obvious bug in it. When I click fullscreen I want the app to fill the screen its currently on and leave the other one available for me to use as I see fit!

Got my iMac hooked up to the TV and my Surround Sound, I used to play DVDs in Snow Leopard all the time fullscreen on the TV and then browse around the internet / work on the iMac's internal monitor. Now, going fullscreeen in DVD Player, it switches from the TV to take up my primary monitor and then greys out the second screen and won't let me put anything else over there.

This is crap. Utter crap. Lion looks nice, seems to be a bit faster, but this bug is so damned annoying that I'm seriously contemplating going back to Snow Leopard until they fix it.

10. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

The thing is it's not really a bug. It's just the way the new fullscreen support works. Basically, applications are not going "fullscreen" over the existing desktop, they're creating a new Space and going full screen there, making that Space exclusive to themselves.

To change it to "fix" the issue would require changing the entire Fullscreen support. The best bet is for developers to simply keep using the old style fullscreen applications (which is still quite possible)

Mplayer OS X Extended does exactly what you want and can play back DVDs. Works fine in Lion, just make sure to uncheck the option :

Screen Shot 2012-02-24 at 8.38.05 PM.png

11. wickedking94 macrumors 6502

Mac OS Lion: screw people who spend money on multiple monitors, lets make fullscreen a useless function. its not like i would like keynote on one screen and safari on another so i can research and make a presentation easier.

apple used to be for pros, now its for noobs.

12. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Lion introduced the full screen support to begin with. It all still works the same as Snow Leopard, except now you also have a fullscreen API.

It can also work accross multiple monitors, as I've shown here before (screenshots included), just all the windows have to be from the same application.