new function for new macbook's screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by polarflour, Oct 25, 2008.

1. polarflour macrumors newbie

Hi all, while I was using my new aluminum macbook, I notice something.
    I put my macbook beside my table lamp, so I can type and read my book at the same time. When I open my lamp (white light) beside my macbook, my macbook's screen becomes brighter After the Delay of 2 seconds, and when I turn my lamp off, it becomes dimmer, same thing it takes around 2 seconds to get dimmer. It's like it takes time to reflect the light from the lamp to the screen. I guess one of the new feature I can think of is, you can change your macbook's brightness dimmer, and save more battery power this way.

has anyone notice this effect?

2. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

This is designed so that is it easier to read the screen in bright light environments and this has been a feature of the MacBook Pro and Air exclusively up until now. It also means that when you are in the dark the screen will dim to such a level where it is still perfectly readable but conserves battery life.

It uses the same sensor array that controls the keyboard backlight. You should notice the brightening/dimming happening in sync.

3. polarflour thread starter macrumors newbie

Ic, that's very interesting, since this is my first mac, I guess there's more for me to learn..

thanks

4. canucks-17 macrumors regular

canucks-17

Its called the Ambient Light Sensor. It is in the Macbooks (Now), Airs, and Pros.

5. NicP macrumors 6502

It's also in the iPhone

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The sensor is actually the iSight, or at least built in along side of it up there. Cover it up with your fingers, the screen dims :p

7. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

In the (older) MBPs it will be in the speakers, don't know what it is in the Air.