New Galaxy Tab 10.1

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mapmonkey, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Mapmonkey macrumors regular

More news from the tablet battlefront. Don't shoot me I'm just the messenger.

Looks like Samsung listened to our Steve,;)

Have they no shame. They finally caught up with their copy cat, come on Apple smack it to them with iPad v2. :D

"The Galaxy Tab 10.1 shows Samsung’s determination to compete head-on with Apple’s iPad, which has a 9.7-inch screen. Still, Samsung has its work cut out for it: Apple has sold 14.8 million iPad units after an April debut, while Samsung has sold around 2 million Galaxy Tab units after launching it in October.

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 adopts Honeycomb, Google’s newest operating system designed for tablet PCs, and is powered by a 1-gigahertz dual core processor. Samsung indicated that the new Galaxy Tab will be more expensive than the first version, though it did not offer details on pricing and release date. "

Full story here
    http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2932154

I'd guess some Tab owners are gonna be a wee bit miffed now.

2. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

All looks nice
    Higher res screen than the iPad and decent camera's front and back with 1080p support, and two memory options 16GB and 32GB.
    As you said, it depends on the price, but the specs and design all look very good.

3. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

4. Mapmonkey thread starter macrumors regular

I love the smell of burning tablets in the morning.:D

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Hello ladies.

Look at your tablet...
    now back to mine.

Now back at your tablet...
    now back to mine.

Sadly, your tablet isn't mine.

But it could act like mine
    if it used Honeycomb.

What's in your hand?! Back at me! I have it:
    it's a tablet with two apps for that thing you like.

Look again! Those apps are now widgets.
    Anything is possible when your man uses Android.

Btw, I'm on Verizon.

(apologies to Old Spice)

6. Mapmonkey thread starter macrumors regular

Made me think of tablet tennis, could work they're the same size...... Now what do we use for a ball?

Btw, I'm not on Verizon;)

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I should've included a link. It's a takeoff of an Old Spice commercial series that is popular in the USA. See original video here. :)

8. Highcroft macrumors regular

Hopefully "competitively priced" is in terms of the iPad rather than the Xoom.

9. Tunster macrumors 6502

Still, it looks very much like the iPad. Same black bezel around the outside of the screen. It's the iPad and the rest of the clones (regardless of OS).

People are going to get confused over the fact these clones are not iPads ;).

10. aduteau macrumors 6502a

Boy did people who bought a Galaxy Tab 1 get screwed ....
    I hear no OS upgrade from Samsung for the Tab 1 (this is Samsung's now world renowned week point .... SO SLOW with software and OS upgrades).

And the tab 1 has been out for what ?? 5 months ?? and cost 800$ for a 7inch ... with carrier ? My god ... how can people still trust a company with this track record ...

I'll stick with some good ol American Apple product thank you ! :)

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I have one and don't feel screwed. It's quite useful as it is. I never expected it to get upgraded. If it does, I'll just be pleasantly surprised.

I do think that the 7" form factor is excellent for running phone apps with more room for display. On Android, apps nicely scale up and/or show more lines of information. And the size is great for portability.

I think 10" screens create a totally different device and experience, and Honeycomb is intended more for that form. I'm not sure that Honeycomb is needed or a good idea for smaller screens.

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

And how, if you were to design an tablet would you design it?

You want a device which is a large touch screen and an area around the outside to hold onto without touching the screen accidentally.

How exactly would you make it look?

13. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

Not impressed. It has a TFT screen. No USB for droid is sad. No hdmi for droid is sad. Will it cost more than Xoom? Will it have a wifi version? Samsung already abandon the Galaxy Tab? No honeycomb for you? Downgrading Oled to TFT is sad. Another doa for Samsung.

14. Perihelion macrumors regular

My first question when it comes to these so called iPad competitors is "What's the battery life like?" I take my iPad to work every day, use it as a media player and web browser when I'm not working, and still only charge it once every 3-4 days. Of all the things I love about my iPad, the long battery life has to be the thing I love the most.

15. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

Please please please samsung don't commit suicide did when they priced the xoom so high.

Damn if this is $500-600 I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.

16. Reed Rothchild macrumors 6502

Well I found it very funny :). Now if only Samsung would actually do an ad like that.

The 10.1 looks like a very nice tablet, though the name is a bit silly. The increase in screen resolution and weight reduction are the most interesting things to me, and the fact that Android is developing into such a superior OS for tablets. Will look with interest as to what Apple can muster up. They need to do something truly magical rather than hype it as such, though the sales figures obviously show that they're doing something right...:D

17. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

I have to admit, the hardware specs look nice on this. Samsung is doing a good job in the mobile industry. Hopefully they will price it competitively. However, for me, Android lacks little things- I feel like I want more with it. I don't have that feeling with iOS, so I'll stick to what I like. Hopefully Apple can really ramp up the specs on iPad 2.

18. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

The voice of buyers remorse... Why would anybody buy a 7" tablet that is essentially an impractical phone running an old phone OS? :confused:

19. Reed Rothchild macrumors 6502

I've a Galaxy Tab (and an iPad) and find the Tab a much more useful tablet for 99% of the things I do. Not sure why I should feel like I've been screwed...

Got a source for that? Though I wouldn't be that surprised, as it is a definite weak point of Samsung based on their track record. Luckily, there is a healthy developer community for Android and it's trivial to tweak and update things yourself if you're reasonably tech savvy. Not something that's possible with iOS unfortunately. We just have to wait for manna from Apple heaven.

I paid $590 for the Galaxy Tab (and pay around 5 dollars a month for 1GB of 3G SIM). The base iPad costs around $700 here in the UK. So for a saving of $120 I get a device that is much more functional. GPS, 3G, high-res screen, dual cameras, expandable memory, phone capability. Really, it could be argued the other way to what you're describing. Maybe it's different where you are.

Good choice if that's your criteria!

20. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

They all 'LOOK' nice. Have you actually used Android 3.0 ? How do you know it is developing into a superior tablet OS ?

Yes, Samsung is doing a great job in the mobile industry. They are doing real good job making parts for the iPad.

What is the sales numbers on their phones ? What about the Tab, with it's "small" or is it "smooth" sales numbers ? Did that Samsung lady ever release sales numbers ? Or are they too embarassed ?

Yea, it all "looks" good. On paper. Or a demo where no one is allowed to touch the tablet.

21. Reed Rothchild macrumors 6502

I was just comparing Froyo/Gingerbread (which I run on my phone and tablet) to the current iOS on my iPad. Android is definitely superior at that revision. Honeycomb looks like it's going to be another incremental improvement. I doubt if it'll make things worse.

22. walkie macrumors 6502

With these new tabs I really suspect that iPad2 will fall far behind the competition on hardware specs and funtionality, competitors are doing a great job while Apple is preparing a "slight update" on iPad2, I think this year is going to be the "competitors tab's year", maybe the iPad3 will be the next great tab, iPad2 may not be a smart purchase...

23. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Which tablet ? (I don't care about phones). What makes Android 2.2 or 2.3 better ? Educate me. Why would I want to switch from iPad to Android? (I don't care about the "walled" garden theories, HDMI, celluar data, SD card slot either. )

There is an iOS jailbreak community.

24. hcho3 macrumors 68030

So, they got 16GB and 32GB...

I am little bit disappointed to see no Micro SD card slot and no Micro USB port.

500-600 dollars are most likely going to be the price of these things for wi-fi models.

I have no interest in 3G/4G version since I have a smartphone with mobile hotspot app. No thank you.

25. Reed Rothchild macrumors 6502

Tablet is the Galaxy Tab. I think you could have surmised that from my previous posts in this thread :).

As to why you would want to switch. I honestly have no idea. That's entirely up to you.

The "iOS jailbreak community" is there to circumvent what Apple allow you to do. I think you'll find the Android dev community is more about expanding the OS rather than circumventing it.