Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

New GarageBand Lessons from Rush and John Legend Now Available

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

The Loop notes that Apple has expanded its GarageBand lesson offerings to add two Rush songs ("Tom Sawyer" and "Limelight") on guitar and one John Legend song ("Ordinary People") on piano.
Rush's guitarist Alex Lifeson takes you through a simple way to play the intro riff to one of the band's most popular songs, "Tom Sawyer." After learning the opening riff, Lifeson then breaks down the rest of the song, showing you the chords and solo techniques.
Apple introduced its professional music lessons with GarageBand '09 earlier this year and now includes lessons from Sting, Sarah McLachlan, Fall Out Boy, OneRepublic, Colbie Caillat, John Fogerty, Ben Folds, Sarah Bareilles, and Norah Jones in addition to the new offerings. Lessons are priced at $4.99 and can be purchased directly through the Lesson Store within GarageBand '09.

Article Link: New GarageBand Lessons from Rush and John Legend Now Available

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
I was just using Garageband the other day and I was curious to see if Apple had included any new songs / artists. I'm glad to see that Apple appears to be sticking with this.

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I just downloaded the Tom Sawyer lesson.

I know squat about how to play music, but OMG isn't it über-cool just to let Garageband play this excellent song!! :eek: :cool:

Gotta love this. :)

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Ah, Rush is pretty cool. Not sure if I'll buy the lessons - while I really like those songs, I have to say it's never occurred to me to try to play them on guitar. Then again maybe this is perfect excuse to start. :cool: I also have to wonder what the band thinks about the fact that people are more interested in stuff they did almost 30 years ago, rather than any of their newer stuff. :rolleyes:

Would love to see some jazz piano lessons here. Maybe Diana Krall or Herbie Hancock. I know HH is a big fan of Apple stuff - wonder if he'd do it.

And speaking of artists who are fans of Apple, how about some Joe Satriani lessons? Though I guess he already has his own online lessons through his website and Workshop Live - Apple ought to try to make a deal with them to sell the lessons in GarageBand too.

North Bronson

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
San José
And speaking of artists who are fans of Apple, how about some Joe Satriani lessons? Though I guess he already has his own online lessons through his website and Workshop Live - Apple ought to try to make a deal with them to sell the lessons in GarageBand too.

Maybe we could get this guy:

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Maybe we could get this guy:

While Buckethead is a great guitarist, he's weird as heck.. I mean when he was briefly in Guns N' Roses he demanded a chicken pen to be built in the studio for him.

Plus he's never talked when in "character" right?

TheAngusBurger

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2008
why not. some artists have done quite well with whole albums that are 'mostly samples and effects'.

Yeah, but learning how to repeatedly trigger samples isn't really worth 5 dollars. I'm not saying that they don't produce good music - I love Gorillaz - but as I said, I doubt that there would be a great deal to learn (and you'd need a serious amount of equipment).

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
I enjoyed the Rush lesson's.
Great lessons and then you can play along with the
original Rush track and mute or mix their tracks
relative to your guitar recording.

Smooth scrolling, staff, chord symbols, tab...
Includes a story about writing and recording the song.
Lot's of fun!!

GaragebandGuy

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2009
Would love to see some jazz piano lessons here. Maybe Diana Krall or Herbie Hancock. I know HH is a big fan of Apple stuff - wonder if he'd do it.

I would love to see jazz piano lessons to with SMF of the performance so one can really dig in an see notation, slow down, speed up, etc and really learn every detail. Don't know why top name artists don't recognize they can make big bucks offering this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.