New gen Macbook for $800 at Microcenter

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 213rules, Nov 3, 2009.

1. 213rules macrumors member

I found this sweet deal on gizmodo.com, if you were wondering.

Here's the link: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0321997

That's 20% for a new Macbook system- not a bad deal, I would say. $800 is what Apple should have priced the new Macbook at first, but this is just as good. I might spring for this deal, and if you're on the edge of getting a Macbook (pro), then this just might be the dealbreaker.

2. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Con's:
    1) It's out of stock
    2) Only local pick up
    3) Pay California's sales tax on PRE-Rebate price(about $100---so it's really about $900.. If I buy from Apple with my discover card, I get 5% cash back, educ price(949) so I get it new from Apple for 1050, so it's really only a $150 saving or 15%)

You can get it for just $60 more than that from Amazon, PLUS you get it DELIVERED to YOU! So the Micro Center deal is only like a 6% savings if you compare it with Amazon...not looking so hot now huh? :p

3. chris7777 macrumors 6502

Agreed this is what they should have priced them at, but as to whether or not I would get it, that's tough.

I really want the pro, and wonder if in the long run a refurb, or $100 off pro would be the better deal, the only thing this has on it is, the HD.

but I haven't ruled it completely out either.

Right now I am really fighting the urge to buy a $340 msi laptop from frys.

the only thing stopping me is the hope my current laptop might survive long enough to make it until I can save up the cash for a pro, instead.

but this is also tempting though I would have to finance in some way.

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

or $925 from macconnection AR

no tax, free shipping to CA

about a $35 savings for me -- not including gas...

5. hndn macrumors regular

To save an additional 5% (yeah, nobody told me about this when I bought mine in April)
    apply for a free membership, receive a 4gb SD memory card
    purchase something cheap, like a 2.99 CD
    the receipt will include a 5% coupon for the next purchase but same day not allowed