New Gen MacBook Pro vs. Previous gen

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sandiegokiwi, Dec 10, 2008.

1. sandiegokiwi macrumors newbie

HI, I am new to the world of Mac's but have been contemplating purchasing a Mac Book Pro for some time now. My dilemma is which version of Mac Book pro to purchase- the most recent release or the previous generation?

I have tried both and I love the new screen (contrary to many people I don't have an issue with the glare) and love the new multitouch pad (I don't like the old gen touchpad). My local university store rep's advice was to buy the old gen as it is better value for money ($1199.00 vs. $1849.00) and they didn't recommend buying new generation anything. They didn't seem to think the new mac book pro offered anything substantial over the previous generation (said to buy it if you like flashy new things- sigh).

I would appreciate any thoughts people have on these comments or on which computer to buy?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Take a moment and think about how much he would really know about anything.

The 8600M is worthless. Get the new model. You like it.

3. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I concur, New MacBook Pro > Old MacBook Pro

Here endeth the lesson...

4. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

The 9600 is just a higher clocked 8600 nothing more. Its literally the same chip and its not free of defects either

5. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

I have the previous gen, I love it, I prefer it to the new one. I dislike glossy displays. I regularly push my GPU hard with 3D visualisations and renders for 12+ hours. I have had no problems (not to say I wont get any).

You:

You like the New MBP, you like the display, you like the track pad.

Why buy a laptop you don't like? Get the new one!

6. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I have to agree with Matty. While the old is a better computing-hp-per-dollar, if you like the new, go with it. If you need to rationalize it for yourself, you can argue that the new will hold value longer when you go to sell it.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

You clearly prefer the new MBP, so I'd suggest you go for that. In its favour is newer technology, somewhat better spec, and that very attractive unibody build. You don't appear to have a problem with the touchpad, or the screen, two areas some posters dislike intensely.

Against, is that it is the first generation of a new product, (hence some inevitable glitches), and that the old MBP is tested and tried, and works well. Price is also a consideration. The old MBP offers very good value indeed. Both will come with Apple's warranty. In the end, it is your call. If you can afford the model you clearly prefer, go for the new. If finance is a problem, choose the older model, you'll still have a great computer.

Cheers and good luck

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Another option might be to wait for the MBPs to hit the Apple refurb site if you can wait. If not, buy it now. I'm jealous :).