New gen MBP - superdrive reliability

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fujikon, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Fujikon macrumors member

Hi all, I just took delivery of my 13" MBP. I've noticed about twice now that it failed at recognizing a disc that I inserted on the superdrive (re-inserting fixes the problem). These are the install and OS X discs that came with my Mac. I would say, I have used the drive maybe about 7 times total so far. So have you all had any issues with your drives?

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

No issues with my new i5.
    My almost three years old MBP was extremely picky about discs before it died,
    but then again it have read probably over thousand discs in it's lifetime.

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Test the discs in another Mac and see if it has any trouble reading them. There were issues a while ago with the first batches of Snow Leopard discs being faulty, and I wonder if your discs are simply low-quality and therefore the culprit. If there is nothing wrong with the discs, you should take your Mac in to have the SuperDrive looked at, as it should have no trouble recognizing pressed discs.

4. Jeeg macrumors member

I just got my new 13" MBP today, from the short tests I've done theres no problem with the superdrive.

5. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

My 15 Inch i5 isn't having any trouble reading or writing discs. As stated earlier, make sure the discs are readable in another mac if you can. If they are, then take it back to get looked at.