Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
A. Why would Apple put a webcam in the living room? Why would you want it?
For video iChats, why else? With a wider-angle lens, your whole family could chat with someone else's whole family.

I don't know how much demand there might be for this, but it does sound like something people will start wanting in the future, especially as the typical living room starts getting more and more wired.
lilstewart said:
B. The USB port is for firmware upgrades only according to Steve, and they're not going to just change that.
Jobs said it is for "diagnostics" without explaining further. Firmware upgrades are one kind of diagnostic. There may be others as well.

As for "not going to just change that", why not? Did anyone from Apple say that they will never use it for any other purpose? Don't jump to conclusions.
lilstewart said:
C. FireWire will never be ditched, or at-least anytime soon - so many camcorders use a firewire connection, HDs, etc.
Never say "never". Industries change. Products change. Consumer demand changes.

Yes, it would be foolish to drop FW today. It might be a very smart move in 3-5 years.

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
I gotta say that an AppleTV with add on iSight hooked up to an 50" Apple Plasma TV gives me a mental image that is a bit too 1984 for me.

...not to say that I wouldn't want to buy all of it :D

nickkelvacar

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2007
Where can I find the commercial?

I keep refreshing NBC and Wired on the home page, and I can't find it. Should I just keep refreshing?

flir67

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2005
tried it with my mini, unless you have a 50" its not really worth it. I have a 27" lcd in the living room and you can't read crape on it as a standard webpage even at 640X480 unless your 2 feet from it.

the itv will be a great additions since there is not webpages to view.

Family video chat? I could easily see using an iChat with a MacMini hooked to your big plasma/LCD, and chatting with grandma or your son in college, etc.

vocaro

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2004
He is completely 100% incorrect.... Why would Apple put a webcam in the living room? Why would you want it?

I guess you do not have a family!

I use iChat as a video phone to talk with my family hundreds of miles away. The usual setup up is that they put a laptop with iSight on a chair in the living room so that I can see the whole group as we chat. It works great during those special occasions like Thanksgiving when I want to be there but can't; I can chat with the family as if I were in the room with them.

It would be much more convenient in these situations to have an iSight permanently connected to an Apple TV. My family wouldn't have set up the laptop every time, position the iSight view just right, worry about the laptop getting knocked over, etc.

An Apple TV interface for iSight would also be a lot easier for people to use. My grandma could place a video call to me using that simple little white remote; she wouldn't have to know how to use a Mac. It would be just like having the "video phone of the future" that people have been dreaming about for decades.

stevento

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2006
Los Angeles
What about the Mac Mini, then ? :/

the mac mini is more for people hwo have their own monitor, and keyboard and mouse, but want a mac.

as for that commercial, all HP notebooks and some vaios offer webcams that are over 4 times as defined as the ones that come installed in macs

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
I would want a webcam in my living room! Well an iSight anyways.. think about it, you can call you auntie Jan in Seattle, and Uncle Frank in Cali, and Crazy Cousin Martha in Palm Springs, all while you sit safely in Houston, talking and "reinventing" home phone service

Audio would be a problem, though. If the microphone is on the camera, it would be too far from the user, and it would pick up lots of background noise in the living room. Apple would need to include wireless clip-on microphones. Hey, how about ones similar to the iPhone's bluetooth headset (but just mic only).

Boy, these rumors write themselves. :D

ryanw

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2003
macpro microphone?

I've always wondered how they plan on getting microphones working on a powermac / macpro? Is the mic built into the apple displays? Since I've never paid for the apple premium for the displays I use on the powermacs, I couldn't ever get audio chats to work. <shrug>

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilstewart
C. FireWire will never be ditched, or at-least anytime soon - so many camcorders use a firewire connection, HDs, etc.
Never say "never". Industries change. Products change. Consumer demand changes.

Yes, it would be foolish to drop FW today. It might be a very smart move in 3-5 years.

Anyone still use a floppy disk?

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
The ad involves the PC getting an "add on" upgrade of a webcam from an IT guy, and gets dismayed when he learns that Mac already has built-in iSight webcams.
What about the Mac Mini, then ? :/
... and Mac Pro. This must mean built in isights in ACDs
Actually, the IT Guy explicitly states in this ad that "iMacs and MacBooks have the cameras built right in".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.