Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iTim314

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
U.S.
Sorry for the lame title, it's all I could come up with on Spot.

On the network, TNT during "The Closer," I just spotted a new "Get a Mac" ad not shown on the Apple Website.

PC is dressed in his underwear, sox, and an undershirt, with his normal suit attire neatly hung on a Hanger.

Mac: Hello, I'm a Mac...
PC: ... and I'm a PC. Well Mac, here ya go, Congratulations, it's yours. (Handing his clothes to Mac)
Mac: Uh, PC I don't understand.
PC: PC world did a test. Apparently the fast Windows Vista Laptop is Mac, so to the Victor, the spoils.
Mac: Oh, you don't have to...
PC: Take good care of her, Mac. She's a beaut.
Mac: Ah, PC I'm flattered but I am actually pretty excited about my new operating system, Leopard. It's got tons of new features... (PC rolls eyes) ... but Hey you still still run Vista pretty fast, PC.
PC: Yeah, that's true. Second fastest (proudly).
Mac: Second Fastest!!
PC: In the world!!
Mac: Not.... bad at all...
PC: Ha heh.... second best! (Raising arms up in Victory.)

iMac Logo.

I'm not capable of YouTubing this anytime soon, so if anyones willing to beat me to it, go right ahead.

:)

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
oh great they made an advert on something that was heavily contested at the time.

I really wish apple would take a different direction with their adverts.

iTim314

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
U.S.
Yeah I was surprised by the subject matter myself, but I'd figure I'd go ahead and post it.

karlfranz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2006
Melbourne
New "Get-A-Mac" Ad - Misprint

A new ad aired tonite during Heroes titled "Misprint". It is available for viewing on the Apple site here. the topic is the new PC World article where they announced that the fastest Vista notebook is actually a Macbook Pro.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
A new ad aired tonite during Heroes titled "Misprint". It is available for viewing on the Apple site here. the topic is the new PC World article where they announced that the fastest Vista notebook is actually a Macbook Pro.

Nice! Why isn't this on the front page?
Good find!!

karlfranz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2006
Melbourne
More than one new ad?

Yeah I was surprised by the subject matter myself, but I'd figure I'd go ahead and post it.

There is apparently more than one ad on the same topic, because the one I saw has a completely different scenario and dialog.

Either way, the ad is up on the Apple site.

erandall38

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2007
The boxer one is hilarious, and I found misprint pretty fun as well.

Although some do not like the snobbishness advertising Apple does with some of these commercials, at least they are getting more legitimate statements of , "We are better in this way, and this is why" it just happens to be in a comical snobby way.

I like them.

ThunderLounge

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
oh great they made an advert on something that was heavily contested at the time.

I really wish apple would take a different direction with their adverts.

True, from one point of view. But, in marketing terms, I think it's a pretty well thought out campaign.

Think about it, how many people aren't well versed in anything technical, and take TV at its word?

They thin it's in a commercial, and can't be false advertising, so they bite.

And believe me, "those" type of users far, far outweigh those who are much more technically adept. That being the case, why not try to inform them a little bit in a comical way?

So, while those that are more proficient with technical skills, interest and knowledge may be a little stiff to the ads, those that aren't are eating it up.

Granted, there is still that group of users who think internet explorer is the internet, and (literally) think you can't get to it without it. Also in a similar group are those that go to a search engine, then type in the url they want, then click on it. They don't grasp the address bar concept. Of course, we could go on about less savvy users all night (and then some).

Anyway, for the overall group those ads are targeted at, it seems to be doing well. If it weren't, I'd guess that a company wouldn't still be sinking money into it.

MacTheSpoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
LOL, John Hodgman's acting is just hilarious in these, as always. He gets all the funny lines. Loved Misprint especially.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
You're right. In fact, Here's the MacRumor's story from early November.

Of course I'm right :p

I couldn't be bothered to look for the story, but remembered it from November. Normally they come in 3's, so we know there's at least one more ad that hasn't been spotted yet...

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA

I couldn't be bothered to look for the story, but remembered it from November. Normally they come in 3's, so we know there's at least one more ad that hasn't been spotted yet...
Well actually, if they're going to come in a set of three, we're still missing two, because there's only one new ad (remember?). ;)

appleguru1

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2003

boxer != boxers

boxers == underwear

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
I am sure some of those mobile SLI monstrosities are faster, but not like anyone should expect Apple to be truthful or even correct in their advertising....

dAlen

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2006
To bad that macs are starting to act like PCs.
Lets see the unresolved imac freezing problem (well now I suppose it is resolved for the most part, after quite some time of users having crashing issues however...)

And the LED issues with the 15 inch macbookpros.
Yellowish tinting, banding, flickering if not in full brightness (im in a cave, it will blind me) ;)

So Im holding off to see what the next revisions of each product looks like.

No, I have never owned a PC...I have only owned macs and purchased macs for my work place. So Im not a windows dude here to pic on mac. :)

Peace

dAlen

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
I thought that Misprint was pretty stupid and probably my least favorite in the entire series, but I haven't seen the other new one yet.

bmk

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
Paris
I am sure some of those mobile SLI monstrosities are faster, but not like anyone should expect Apple to be truthful or even correct in their advertising....

To be fair, Apple are simply using what PC World said - you may want to dispute the factual accuracy of PC World's survey, but they actually said it and it is that 'fact' that Apple are using. If Macworld ever said in print that Vista was better/faster/nicer than Leopard, wouldn't you expect MS to use it in some way?

I, like many, think that the Mac OS's strengths should feature more in the ads rather than simple Windows/Vista bashing - why give MS more publicity - but at least the ads are funny and well-produced.

igazza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
earth
apple shouldn't make ads that bash windows they need to focus more on there overall operation system that would sell more macs. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.