New, getting first mac tomorow, have a question!

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by NineSpine, Feb 23, 2009.

1. NineSpine macrumors newbie

Feb 23, 2009
    So tomorrow I take the leap and ditch Windows. I'll be getting a Macbook Pro, Logic Studio, and an Apogee Duet to replace my current home system. My question is this: I am really torn between the 2.4 and the 2.53 but how big a difference in performance will I see? Is it worth the extra $300? I know the L2 cache is doubled, but is that really a $300 jump?

Thanks everyone!
  2. frankblundt macrumors 65816

Sep 19, 2005
    South of the border
    yes... no.. or yes :p

is a bit faster worth $300 to you, or not? Are you using it professionally, where time = money, yes, or are you just arseing about, in which case it means nothing, then no? If money = nothing then yes.

Flip a coin

perhaps that's too harsh.. what I mean is really, only you can know the answer. No amount of statistics can help you. Is 2% faster worth $300? is 2 seconds faster on a particular filter operation meaningful to you, $300 meaningful? what about 10 seconds?
  3. EB66 macrumors 6502

Mar 4, 2008
    no and ill just leave it at "unless you need it"

i think there are speed test comparisons between the two at barefeats not sure though
  4. mim macrumors 6502

Apr 24, 2003
    flesh, melbourne.... heart, london
    Save your $300 and buy a decent size second monitor. Or a nice plugin.

You might find this place helpful as you're getting started:

Enjoy your Mac!
  5. ChrisA macrumors G4

Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California
    For use with Logic at home. No. I assume you will not be recording 24 or 48 tracks. Not with the "Duet" so performance will not be an issue.

Do you need the "studio" version of Logic? I assume you read the specs and found something in there you needed. Most home user would be happy with "express"

Should you spend the extra $300. I'd say only spend it if you are in such a good position that spending it will not cause you to skimp on other parts of the recording system. You do have several large external disks for backups and also a good fast disk for the audio files you will be creating.

One more thing.. Have you used Logic yet? It really likes touse up screen space. you will be wanting a large monitor. Spend the $300 on the extra 0.13 GHz but only it you can still cover the other things you will need.

Why a notebook for a home studio? Do you need to be portable? If not the iMac or Mac Pro gives more bang for less bucks
  6. NineSpine thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 23, 2009
    I ended up buying the 2.4 with 4 gigs of RAM and Logic Express instead of Studio. I can always upgrade to Studio if I feel like I need it.

I wanted to go with a laptop because I am also using this machine for school. Sometimes I'll be taking it with me to record at other people's houses too. I already have a nice 22-inch monitor for home but I can't seem to find a way to make it work while the laptop is closed. Anyone have any ideas for that?
  7. Muncher macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2007
    Don't bother, the performance increase is minimal and you can use 100 of those $300 to buy some extra ram, which is more important.