New girl in town... Needs help with DVD ripping and copying software.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lovelygirl71807, Jan 15, 2009.

1. lovelygirl71807 macrumors newbie

Hi=]

Just got my macbook in yesterday... I had anydvd, dvd shrink, and nero on my pc... and recommendations on equivilent software and what each thing does. I want to be able to burn the dvd's and watch them at home. So... since I'm new to mac I need a lot of help!

2. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

Handbrake is good for ripping to get the raw video, but if you want to copy it takes a while to encode it back into DVD format

For copying I recommend mac the ripper to extract then toast to burn the image.

3. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

I echo the calls for Handbrake (best for ripping to an iTunes compatible file) or Mac the Ripper (for ripping for burning/DVD Player viewing). Both are available for free. Google search to find them. And, while Roxio's Titanium Toast can burn things to DVD, it costs a few bucks. You can either get a less feature intensive version of Toast put out by Roxio, called Popcorn, or you can use a free utility called Simply Burns to take care of the disk burning.

Welcome to the Cult of Mac.

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Ripit is my recommendation for ripping. It's $19 but works on virtually every DVD out there. Handbrake sometimes has a few problems on the ripping side, and Mac The Ripper development has stagnated, so it doesn't work 100%.

My solution would be (is) Ripitapp for ripping and Handbrake for encoding.

5. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

MTR (3.0r14m) has been having some serious issues with newer DVDs I've tested, however. As of late I've been using a combo of RipIt and DVD2OneX for doing backups.

6. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Since you are now part of the apple family it may be time to look into an appletv where you can store your movies without having the burn them back to a dvd. It's nice to not have to use your dvd player and put in a disk each time you want to watch one of your movies.

7. Wee Beastie macrumors regular

I have the latest version of MTR and I have yet to come across a dvd that it won't rip. That said, I haven't tried it with any of the brand new movies (the ones that came out on dvd near the end of 2008). I haven't tried Ripit, but their site looks nice (I know that doesn't really mean much). If MTR has trouble with the newer dvds, I may give it a shot. After I rip it using MTR I use Disco to burn it onto a new dvd or Handbrake to compress it--to fit on a single layer dvd or an ipod. I just got back from a trip and having a few movies to watch on my ipod touch was awesome on the looong plane ride.

Good luck!

8. blackfx35 macrumors member

What do you suggest is the appropriate workflow for someone who has Apple TV? I was told to use Mac The Ripper to Rip, and then Handbrake to convert so that it can be viewed on the appropriate device (in my case, Apple TV). Thanks

9. OZMP macrumors 6502

i have ripped my entire DVD collection with MacTheRipper2.66, I have then encoded it with handbrake and keep it all on its own HDD, my PS3 access's it over the network which is great.

So:
    Rip(MacTheRipper) -> Storage= Encode with Handbrake
    Rip ->Burn Macthripper then toast :cool: