New gizmo : Peek

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Jason Beck, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

http://www.getpeek.com

And it has a Facebook update app built into it, or said the rep that emailed me. It seems pretty good and you can buy a lifetime contract for 299$ so you don't have to pay the 15$ monthly fee.

Thoughts people?

My wife and I seem to think that it won't be too successful because it is just another "thing" to carry. :confused:

Picture of it.

Attached Files:

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I don't see why people would want essentially just an email machine when pretty much every phone supports email and has done for quite a few years now. Perhaps those who don't want a mobile phone but that surely is a niche market.

Am I entirely missing the point of this product?

3. Jason Beck thread starter macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Yah. We think that it will fizzle out like webtv did. The "good" thing this has going for it is the lifetime subscription for the service. If you are in a business where you need to check your email constantly .. i mean it may be good. But yah, phones do it and are affordable.

This would probably be a beneficial way to keep track of grandpa though.
    ahahha.

4. MikhailT macrumors 601

You also forgot text, it includes unlimited text and there are many people who barely use up any minutes but send an average of 250 text messages a day instead. This means it's just 20$ a month for those people instead of paying 80-100$ a month.

There are many areas where this is much more useful. Email support techs, field techs, deaf users, and secondary device that's just cost 20$ a month forever.

@OP, this isn't a new gizmo, it has been around for more than 2 years by now.

5. Jason Beck thread starter macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Yah true, and text with pictures. It has its perks.. If it had web browsing too maybe for a hundred or two hundred more.. that would be rad.

6. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Seems like a Blackberry or Palm Pilot from years ago.

7. MikhailT macrumors 601

I doubt that will happen, it'll consume too much of data that it wouldn't be profitable for the company to maintain the 20$ monthly price. Text and email usually don't take up much data.

8. Jason Beck thread starter macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Yep. My thoughts exactly. Anyone else interested in Peek?

9. 11800506 macrumors 65816

The Peek in particular is not that new - it's been around for at least 6 months, if not longer. It seems to have lasted that long, so I don't think it's going away any time soon. Regardless, it does seem to be a little pointless.