New glasses (first pair)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Elixer, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Elixer macrumors regular

I just bought my first pair of glasses the other day. Maybe I'm a tad OCD but I noticed a tiny but noticeable gap between the top of the frame and one of the lenses. I could easily fit a corner of paper through. Is that normal for this style of glasses? I mean these weren't cheap glasses either.

Attached Files:

2. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

If you are not happy with them then you should be able to just take them back to the shop and they will adjust them for you.

If you remember when you had them fitted the optician probably made some marks on the blank lenses so they would be right for you when they made the real ones. Obviously if these lenses don't sit the same, you aren't getting the best from them.

EDIT: Those are nice frames. Who makes them?

3. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

It's not OCD, the lens generally should fit. I'd bring it back and see if they can recut them for you.

Sometimes, a certain combination of frame and lens (usually thicker, stronger prescriptions) can not fit exactly due to material/cutting limitations; this might be the case with your new pair.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Get them fixed. They should fit perfectly.

And cool frames. I really like the half-frames at the moment. Coincidentally, I was looking at a pair of similar frames, except they only appear semi-rimless. The top of the frame is thicker like yours, but the rest is wire thin!!

Anyway, yours are pretty cool. ;) Hope you get used to wearing them!

6. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

have them redone. if you don't, crude will form in the gap and they will be hard to clean. The lens will also not be as secure, since they aren't sealed properly. Cool frames. I have a pair with similar shaped lens but with a slightly narrower frame (same lines though).

7. Elixer thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the compliments. It still feels so weird wearing them. I ended up going back and the manager was looking at it and agreed that it was cut wrong. They didn't have a problem re-ordering the lenses for me. So hopefully when the new lenses come in they will be better.

8. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Glad it all worked out for you