New glossy iMac in a real world environment?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by pduck, Aug 9, 2007.

1. pduck macrumors newbie

I currently have a 1st generation Mac mini (G4, 1.25ghz, 1 GB Ram) with a 19" monitor. I had been waiting for the new iMacs to come out to replace it, but now I'm not too sure. There are 2 windows behind me in my office and I'm afraid that the reflections from them would be too obnoxious. Yes, they have blinds on them, but light still comes through.

I've read some reviews that said the glossy reflections are obvious at first, but you get used to them and are not as bad as expected. Others have said that the reflections are really distracting. Does anyone have any real world experience of what the new iMacs are like in places other than a showroom, such as a typical home office? I don't want to have to sit in a totally darkened room to do my computing.

My other options include getting a refurbished iMac of the last generation, or a new mini.

2. pduck thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

4. hologram macrumors 6502

That doesn't mean anything. Most of the pictures were taken at angles you'd never view the screen from, they were just taken to make the reflections look as bad as possible.

5. shipdestroyer macrumors 6502

Unless you have a desk lamp hovering directly over it, the screen is so incredibly bright you won't notice reflections.

6. pduck thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I just ordered a refurbished 20" iMac from Apple's web site. I was just too worried about those windows behind me to try a glossy, reflective screen.