New gmail problems in Apple Mail under Yosemite?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zen, Dec 1, 2014.

1. zen macrumors 68000

zen

I know gmail was problematic for Apple Mail under Mavericks, and Apple kinda patched it up, and then Yosemite was supposed to patch it up even more and get things working properly.

I had a lot of email problems under Mavericks, but Yosemite did seem to fix them.

Until last week!

Now, I'm having the same problems with my gmail account as I used to - Apple Mail will sit there, showing no new messages, and then when I check on my iPad or iPhone, suddenly I have dozens of unread emails going back hours!

If I quit and relaunch Apple Mail, the emails show up. Likewise if I go Mailbox > Synchronise all accounts.

I have one gmail account and one IMAP account for my private domain name, so while I could use the gmail website I still need to use a mail client for my private domain emails.

I asked just now on Twitter, and got several replies from Yosemite users saying they had started experiencing the same "invisible" email problem which had previously been fixed.

Any idea what is going on - or are there any Apple Mail (or gmail?) settings I need to check and change?

2. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

I don’t know if it’s related to Yosemite. Yesterday Mail on Mavericks at work and Yosemite both stopped accepting my password. It works on iOS and web as usual.

Did Google change IMAP security settings lately?

EDIT: Through account settings, I found a page that could enable access from the device you are on:
    https://accounts.google.com/displayunlockcaptcha

After that I could enter my password in mail again and everything worked like normal. There must have been a security reset in my account somehow.

3. zen thread starter macrumors 68000

zen

Hmm. Glad you fixed your problem.

I'm still having the issue in Yosemite. Just now, the Gmail app on my iPad dinged with a new message. This message isn't showing in Apple Mail. It doesn't show if I click get mail, and it's not even showing if I synchronise accounts. To get the mail I had to quit Mail and re-open it.

This seems like a pretty big issue - but I do wonder if Gmail have changed something which has once again broken Apple Mail.

4. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

My work computer reverted to having to enter the password again, had to do the same procedure over again to make it work. Clearly something has changed with gmail’s security protocols that cause this :confused: