New Good Speaker System

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Shotgun OS, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

Well, I kicked over my subwoofer a few hours ago, and it broke. The speakers I have still work, but its not the same. So, I'm looking to buy some new speaker system. I'm trying to keep it on a budget too......but I can splurge if necessary. I want some speakers that can get very loud, and can survive being turned all the way up with both the computer sound turned all the way up along with the iTunes volume all the way up. If you could recommend a system with a subwoofer, that would be great.
    Thanks,
    S_OS

2. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

3. parthc007 macrumors member

4. showtime macrumors 6502

5. timestoby macrumors 6502

if you want bass then you should get the logitech ones. at 200 watts it will boom with that 8 inch cone.

6. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

If you want a 2.1 system, go with Bose Companion series...you can't beat these. They're pretty expensive though, and you can probably get a Klipsch 5.1 for the same price.

7. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I too have the Klipsch Promedia 2.1's, and have had them for several years. I absolutely love them. So much that I bought a second set to put in my workout room to hook up to my iPod. Got the second set used on eBay for about $50.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with 5.1 because I don't have a place to properly position the surround speakers behind me. I've never understood why some buy surround sound speakers (home or computer) when they aren't going to be surrounded by them.

8. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I just got a set of the m-audio studio pro 4's for 100 bucks. Sound great to me. Real clean. No subwoofer, but great sound.

9. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Loitech Z-5450

These are amaing and the 'Woofer is INSANE! Plus it has surround, they are just amazing.

By the way, why the hell did you kick your 'Woofer?

10. Keebler macrumors 68030

folks would think i work for them, but i totally don't :

www.audioengineusa.com

fantastic sound at all levels...great bass especially...overall, fantastic.

can plug an ipod directly ontop or an airport express or of course, a computer/stereo etc...

made by a company that focuses on audio equipment for recording studios so they know what they are doing.

Cheers,
    Keebler

11. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

12. fairnymph macrumors 6502

fairnymph

I have the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX as well, and it's an awesome system.

I actually SOLD my old Bose Acoustimass III 4.1 system and the Klipsch sounds better overall, despite being about a 1/4 of the price. While the Bose speakers did have slightly better highs, the subwoofer was so miserably pathetic. The Klipsch system is solid all around.

Klipsch vs Logitech, IMO, there is really no comparison, Klipsch is far, far superior.