new Google Maps is beyond frustrating

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by macrabbit, Mar 5, 2013.

1. macrabbit macrumors member

Google Maps is frustrating me to no end. Any suggestions are appreciated.

First off I don't see quick (or any) access or syncing to Google's 'My Places' from the actual application. This is an absolute grievance that can't be ignored. Why they would omit such a key function is beyond me. I travel quite often and like to plan out my routes, including dropping pins for various locations. I also like to save public maps to my places, and que them up for directions and information.

At the app level the frustration goes even further. The basic map function of dropping a pin and custom naming it to a list (bookmarks) is gone. The ability to name the location, as well as have them in a sortable list is super important to where I am located and my lifestyle. And again, if I could just keep all my locations saved to googles My Places it would be perfect.

How are these basic features not included in the application is beyond me. Even Apple's new Maps app has some of these features, but the information is so inadequate where I am located its pointless to use.

Any suggestions?

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I just downloaded today's Google Maps update which is supposed to integrate my Google contacts in some way, but I don't see them and searches turn up empty.

I'm with you your gripes. Maybe a $1500 pair of Google glasses will make us forget.

3. macrabbit thread starter macrumors member

yep the update did nothing useful in the way of customizing locations. Still cannot access My Places, and still cannot name or sort the saved locations. One would think this is simple stuff, right?

Is there an app that integrates with Google Maps that can do these things?

4. macrabbit, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013

macrabbit thread starter macrumors member

OK figured out you can edit your starred locations at - http://www.google.com/bookmarks, but the edits don't show up in the iPhone app?

More bizarre half done features from Google. It seems like everything for the iPhone is incomplete, with strange dead ends and editing capabilities within the app.