New Google Maps or Waze Maps

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by LaynieGorilla, Dec 14, 2012.

1. LaynieGorilla macrumors 6502

Which would you use more on a daily basis? Which one would you presume more reliable?

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Ooh look, yet another thread to ask a question that could have been answered in countless others.

The short answer is - it all depends on what you're using them for.

I prefer Waze for most things... it shows traffic while navigating, alerts you of other incidents, you can add a stop along the way, and it shows you current gas prices.

Google usually has more accurate and detailed maps, offers both walking and public transportation (in many areas), and has a MUCH better list of POI and often has extra details (ratings, reviews, hours, phone numbers, pictures, etc.) about the business.

3. GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

Waze for driving.
    Google Maps for transit/walking/biking.

4. sohaloh macrumors regular

Your display picture scared the **** out of me. :(

5. nfl46 macrumors 603

Honestly, I always loved Waze Maps. For traffic, Waze is awesome - especially for us in major cities.

6. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I like Waze, but it's not really comparable to Google Maps (or Apple Maps for that matter).

It's basically only designed for turn by turn car navigation.

If you want anything else, it's not very good.

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Waze doesn't work on iPhone 5.
    Upon launch it announces a "bug"
    Won't retain favorites
    Claims the device isn't connected to the Internet

I tried this 2 years ago when it 1st came out and immediately removed it due to lousy performance.
    One would think in 2 years some progress might be evident.

Ratings on their iTunes page reflect others having same issues as I am.

So I guess my answer must be Google Maps (although Apple Maps works just as well for my area and allows access to my contacts - which Google apparently overlooked)

8. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

They didn't overlook anything...they were restricted by Apple..either from a programming standpoint or from a direct "you can't have this feature" standpoint.

Apple must be really counting on getting their data up to par...when it is (or where it hasn't been a negative so far...like for me) then the Apple Maps wins out for the integration feature with Siri, contacts, UI (IMHO), smoothness.....

The only advantage Google has over Apple right now where Apple Maps work fine is the web/phone integration and reporting function....and UI is a matter of opinion. Apple will make sure to keep it that way.

In the past two days of using Google it has always directed me to my location, but 4 out of the 10 trips have been the wrong/slower/more confusing way...with one of those being an illegal turn that was very dangerous (I knew better since I'm testing it where I live).

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

So you think Apple restricted Google from being able to access the contacts ?
    Haven't read that elsewhere so I have no idea.

And if you notice, I didn't prefer one over the other (Google vs Apple), just noted that without the option to access contacts, copy/paste gets old.

Once the iPhone 5/iOS6 jailbreak becomes available, there is already a Cydia hack to redirect address lookups/display from Apple maps to Google maps.

10. hyteckit Guest

Doesn't sound like what you've said is based on facts.

Where did you get your facts where Apple is preventing Google Maps from accessing the contact list?

11. LaynieGorilla thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't see how there's countless threads when google maps nav just launched a couple of days ago for the first time ever on the iPhone.

My favorites didn't work in the beginning when I first put waze on my iPhone 5 but after a couple of days they've remembered my favorites ever since. I put waze on a little over a month ago. Sometimes it did drop the network but very seldomly.

I would have to agree, waze for biking and google for everything else; there were a few times where the old Google maps was inaccurate at giving directions.

12. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Because it already exists as part of their app on their own phones...it's common sense and not a difficult programming issue.

Forgetting the maps factor, do you really think Apple would let Google have access to a users contact list for any reason?

Contacts is an app and not open for easy access.

13. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

14. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Waze is a partner of Apple....and proves my point. If Waze can do it, why wouldn't Google? Answer: they aren't allowed to.

15. Rigby macrumors 601

Why not? The Google Voice app has access too. Same for other navigation apps such as Navigon.
    There is an API that allows other apps to access contacts. In newer iOS versions the user has to give his consent on the first access (and there is privacy setting for it).

16. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Yep, Navigon works just fine accessing my contacts.
    I can't see any reason why Google Maps would be restricted when so many other apps are permitted to do so.

17. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

OMFG...does nobody read anymore...

YES..it has access....and that supports my statement: APPLE DID NOT ALLOW IT!

18. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

We have all read it, all 3 times you have posted it.

That does not mean we are in agreement with your opinion.

19. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

My answer is to this...for the fourth time....do you want me to actually say the words "...because it would then be WAY better than our app and we will never get the mindshare to catch up?"

Apple prevented them from doing it!

People need to stop asking questions when there is an easy answer...and no, I wasn't in the room, but the fact that it would have been so easy is why Apple probably said, "We'll allow your Maps app..but no Google voice access for search, no access to contacts, no night mode until we have it, etc."

20. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

@MozMan

I believe you are mistaken.

If you check this web article/review of Google Maps it addresses this issue when questioning why the app doesn't search contacts (both Apple contacts and Google contacts):

http://daringfireball.net/2012/12/google_maps_iphone

So it seems even the Android version of Google Maps doesn't access contacts either.
    That does not support your opinion that the iPhone version doesn't do so because Apple forbid it.

21. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

instead of quoting some review article that is quoting some tweet from someone that says "my friend said that..." why not go directly to Google?

And then see that Maps on Android does use your Google contacts (yes, maybe separate from the one on each phone) to search based on that?

http://support.google.com/gmm/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=171480

22. AnotherScott macrumors newbie

You are stating this as fact, when it is just your guess.

The fact that other apps CAN do this actually points to it being a Google limitation, rather than an Apple one. Apple can keep stuff as proprietary as they want... but once they open up an API to allow other developers to access something, they would be opening up a legal can of worms if they prohibited Google from accessing things that they permit other developers to access.

My own guess (and admittedly, just that) is that Google wanted to get this app out as quickly as possible, and considered this a secondary feature which could be added in a future rev, and not worth prioritizing if it would delay how soon they could get it out the door.

23. Rigby macrumors 601

Your link says that the search function can make suggestions based on your Google contacts (not your local address book). I just tried it and the iPhone app does that too if you are logged in to your Google account.

All the evidence points to an intentional design decision by Google (who want to keep the user in their ecosystem) rather than some nefarious scheme by Apple.

24. saberahul macrumors 68040

I don't have any of these problems on my iPhone 5 and I use waze just about every day. Latest OS, latest iPhone, Verizon - if it helps.

25. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

I said that...in two of the posts...

----------

Apple can do whatever they want when it comes to apps. Open API or not.

----------

Yes....exactly as I stated. But Google and Android are basically one in the same...of course they want to force you to their web based contact list. The lack of voice integration is the key missing component. So whether it was lack of that or access to the contact list, Apple is controlling the performance of the app since it has already been proven by Google that they can integrate voice integration into iOS with Google Search app.