New gov't rules allow unapproved iPhone apps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DipDog3, Jul 26, 2010.

1. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100726/ap_on_hi_te/us_tec_digital_copyright

2. kolax macrumors G3

And remove protection against Spyware and other flawed apps?

3. Steveo47 macrumors regular

interesting that the government cares whether or not i can use app A vs app B

4. AppleRules macrumors regular

5. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Shouldn't this be front-page material on a lot of iPhone/Apple blog and news sites? It seems pretty major, as it could blend the jailbreaking community into the mainstream, maybe seeing apps like MyWi being easily installed, or a change in FairPlay copy protection to help developers from getting shafted by an increase in piracy, users performing an exodus from AT&T to T-Mobile (if Apple somehow enables T-Mobile USA 3G support), and so much more that I can't even begin to think about...

6. King Luis macrumors 6502

i don't think this would work. your basically telling a company to incorporate something into their device they do not want.
    its like the government is allowing controlled pirating. its like saying a car company has to allow people to be able to turn off all safety devices by law.

7. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I agree. How the hell is this not breaking news on any Apple-related websites yet?

But it's not "their" device once they've sold it. It becomes the property of the customer. Apple could simply modify their warranty so that they can refuse service on devices that are experiencing problems due to unapproved apps.

8. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

It was just released 31 minutes ago, tech blogs usually take a while to update, especially on Monday mornings.

9. thetexan macrumors 6502a

It's a poorly written article...

All it states is that jailbreaking is not illegal and does not violate the DMCA. Apple can not sue you for jailbreaking, nor is it a criminal activity. It's also not illegal to circumvent carrier locks put in place. Apple is still under no obligation to provide access to non-approved applications.

10. King Luis macrumors 6502

thats a good point. never thought of that. aren't they already implying the void warranty if jail broken rule? with the non-approved apps, i think that won't go unless jail broken. apple has control over their own store.

11. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

12. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I guess you have to love the way they spin the articles. Kinda like watching FOX News (hilarious "split" poll) or reading MacDailyNews (very pro-Apple and anti-Microsoft, it's so amusing).

13. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

No, but it would be much easier to gain access to Cydia and its wares without developers having to spend months working on circumventing Apple's locks and creating working jailbreaks.

14. samcraig macrumors P6

Interesting. I wonder if this passes if the Droid X would have to be recalled or if there's a firmware fix they could install so that people who "broke" it wouldn't have their devices bricked.

15. unamused macrumors 6502

id love a google voice app on the iphone. (be nice, im currently a blackberry user really considering an iphone)

16. frosse macrumors 6502a

Wrong, all this law says is that it's no longer illegal to break Apples "locks". Apple however, will still do their best to keep people from JBing (read there are still gonna be locks). Also, I don't think we'll see more people jailbreak their phones just because it's suddenly legal, it's not like the Feds are gonna bust you for JBing your iPhone.

17. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

I think some of you are misunderstanding the article. Jailbreaking was implicitly allowed before but now they've made it explicit. Also circumventing software protection to unlock your phone has always been legal, that part isn't new. Nothing has changed, this does NOT mean Apple has to allow jailbreak apps or make it easier for us to jailbreak. They don't have to do ANYTHING. it just means it's not illegal for hackers to release tools to jailbreak iPhones so you can mod your phone.

18. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Of course, but that will not change. The cat and mouse game will continue as is, it's just now Apple can't bring a lawsuit against anyone attempting to circumvent their locks.

19. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

The mouse can just run a little bit faster now :p

20. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Apple should really just allow and make it natively possible to purchase non-App Store apps. If someone uses commonsense, I see this as being a very positive thing for the iPhone. However, this will allow third-parties to steal Apple's thunder. That is, what new features will Apple tout in upcoming iOS releases if all features are already available? It may force Apple to come-up with their own ideas.

21. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Not that they did or could before. So this isn't really news.

22. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

I agree with this. Jailbreaking was implicitly legal before, its just been made explicit. Apple will continue making it difficult to modify the phone, nothing at all has changed.

23. elistan macrumors 6502a

Or... it's like saying a car company cannot require a customer to purchase repair and maintenance items, and get the car serviced, only from them. By law, you can put any item, any oil or oil filter, any brakes, any anything you want (so long as it's EPA/DOT legal) on your car, by yourself, or by anybody else of your choosing.

Personally, I don't see much of a leap to allowing you to do anything you want with an electronic wireless device, so long as it doesn't violate some FCC or wiretapping law. IOW, use it with whatever carrier you want and install whatever apps you want.

If this goes through, it'll remain to be seen just how it plays out, what sort of impact it'll have on the cellphone landscape, and whether it'll be good for the consumer in the long run.

24. the gman macrumors member

http://modmyi.com/index.php

http://dailyiphoneblog.com/

http://www.engadget.com/