New GPU in August 2011 MBP refresh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mgkamiolo, Jul 29, 2011.

1. mgkamiolo macrumors newbie

Hey guys I'm a new apple convert and I need a new laptop for my Masters coursework. I have determined that I need a MBP, since I need the superdrive as well as having a decent GPU to do some video editing as well as some games. I realize that there was just a refresh of MBP 2011 that came out but I want to know if there will be another one at the end of this year that will have a vastly better GPU then the one thats out right now. Any help is appreicated, thanks once again.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

There won't be a big change in the logic boards until Ivy Bridge ships from Intel in early 2012.

I can't imagine a MBP refresh in August. There's talk of something before Christmas, but that might just be another model of the MBA.

3. simsaladimbamba

Your thread title is confusing.
    And there will be most likely no MBP update until 2012, and even if, the GPU will probably stay the same, given past updates (Apple used the 9400M/9600M combo from 10/2008 till 4/2010.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There are no new GPUs and won't be before Q4 2011 or 2012.

5. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

i dont think it will be vastly superior in performance,more like form factor will be thinned down,and a solid state drive such as the ones inside the mba will be used,with no optical drive, as well as more hi res screen, performance may jump but to how much,wont be astronomical, my 2 bits anyhow.

6. mgkamiolo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick replies, and sorry if my thread title was too confusing. I just wanted to figure out how long apple keeps the same GPUs in its MBP lines over the years. If its at least two years then mostly likely I will order the new 2011 15" top end one today online from apple.

7. mark28 macrumors 68000

Intel is coming with new Sandy Bridge CPU's later this year, so Apple is coming with an updated 2011 MBP most likely.

Rumor has it that Apple is introducing it's redesign in 2011 already.

I don't think Apple will change the CPU. It would be nice if Apple would upgrade the base 15" model from the ATI 6490m to the 6630m for example.

8. ctbear macrumors 6502a

Given your requirements have you looked at some top of the line PCs? You can always look for GPUs more powerful than Apple's offering. And SuperDrive is just a DVD drive.

9. mgkamiolo thread starter macrumors newbie

I am acutally downgrading graphic wise from my windows 7 sager laptop 8690NP that I bought last year. This machine has a very good graphics card and it works well, however it is pretty heavy, lots of sound, and heats up very quick, and I had to replace the power cord and now the battery as well. I know macs are not ment for games, but I see them running bootcamp with windows 7 and running all these window games. I would like to try the apple brand this time around and see how well they preform as well.

10. ctbear macrumors 6502a

What kind of graphic works will you be doing at school? I would believe the GPUs in the current 15" MBP line be sufficient for most work.

11. mgkamiolo thread starter macrumors newbie

I will be using CS5 photoshop, and Final Cut express but those are mostly for my side projects. I am just used to having a much more powerful GPU, but I belive you are correct the current GPU in the 2011 MBP should be enough for what I need to do.