New graphic card for my MacBook Pro early 11.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CDFT92, Aug 14, 2013.

1. CDFT92 macrumors newbie

Hi guys, first post.
    Carlos from Venezuela.

What good graphic card do you recommend for my MacBook Pro early 11.
    I have an Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB but when gaming its very slow for some games. Thank you.

Here is a snapshot with specifications.
    [​IMG]

2. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

You can't upgrade your graphics, sorry.

If you need better graphics I suggest selling your current Mac second-hand and buying something like this refurbished 15" cMBP with GT 650M graphics for $1,449, or something similar used.

3. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

The graphics chip in Macbooks cannot be upgraded or replaced.

4. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

As previously mentioned the graphics card in your Macbook is built-in into the CPU. You cannot upgrade. For gaming you should ideally use a PC. If you really want a gaming Mac the iMac is currently the best option or maybe the classic 15" MBP. In any case you should wait for the Haswell refresh on both MBP and iMac before buying anything.

5. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Agreed. Sell the Macbook, and save for a newer Macbook Pro, or purchase a PC laptop with a powerful GPU. Macbooks were never intended for hard core gaming.

6. CDFT92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow... I always thought I could replace it :(
    But you guys are right. Thank you for all the info.
    Oh guys, I also have this MacPro, it's a 2007 but the graphic card it's obsolete. It sopped working. A guy from Apple told me I had to buy another one which is like $600. Do you know of other cheaper graphic cards? I don't really use that MacPro but it'll be good having it functioning. Thank you very much.

7. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Pretty sure he meant $600 to replace it with the same graphics card. Imo, if you need to play games better. Definitely sell both computers and buy the refreshed Retina MBP, or an iMac, or a desktop PC running windows. Those are your best options. Keep in mind, the retina MBP isn't that great with high end games either, but it may be passable to some.

8. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

He probably right, there are only a few graphic cards that will work on the Mac Pro since Apple doesn't make drivers for every single graphic card avaliable, less since this is a 2006 models with possibly limited to select number of graphic cards that probably aren't being activity sold right now. Also why would you ever think you could replace the graphic card on a laptop, there isn't a windows laptop currently that would have a user replaceable graphics card.

9. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Alienware, Sager/Clevo, and MSI would like a word with you.

10. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

I was under the impression Alienware no longer have this option, also mobile graphic cards aren't for sell and the desktops cards take too much power to be properly used in a laptop form.

11. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Mobile GPUs are not sold at retail but are easily obtainable from places such as the NotebookReview forums marketplace. People have also created eGPUs for notebooks using desktop cards connected via ExpressCard and now Thunderbolt. However they are extremely expensive and difficult to set up properly.

12. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Wait, newegg sells mobile GPU? I thought that wasn't possible since Nvidia doesn't allow the sale of mobile GPUs.

Also OP is your MacBook Pro the 13 or 15 model? The 15 model should have a discrete graphic that should be fairly powerful even now.

13. randroide macrumors newbie

You could hack together an eGPU with an external enclosure (and a few adapters) through a Thunderbolt port. You won't get the entire performance benefits but still a lot of improvements.

Look here: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/

14. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

The GPU is for desktops. eGPU is a desktop card in an adaptor (or two) that connects to a laptop with thunderbolt but only works in windows that I know of. In one sentence it isn't really a mobile GPU.

15. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

I know what an eGPU is, it's just that it was stated that you could buy a mobile GPU (ex. 650m) from Newegg, allowing possibly notebooks that could upgrade their GPU possible.