New graphic cards on new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Habitat31, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Habitat31 macrumors newbie

Hey im new to the forums! :)

Well today i finally got the funds to purchase the high end 15 inch model Mbp. I keep on hearing rumor after rumor of a new one coming in with things that really don't matter to that much. Except one thing which is a graphic update! Im a big gamer. I was wondering if the new ones are going to have a new graphic card or am i on the safe side in getting the current ones?

2. m1stake macrumors 68000

The DESKTOP model of the 9600GT, is supposed to be almost double the performance of the 8600GT.

Therefore it's also safe to assume that the 9600M GT will also have close to double the performance of the 8600M GT.

3. Habitat31 thread starter macrumors newbie

so thats whats rumored to be in the new MBP coming in the next two weeks?

4. JWest macrumors 6502

And where exactly did you get this info? The 9xxx cards are just the 8xxx cards with a die shrink and full DX10.1 support. There probably not going to be a whole lot faster.

5. jboyd122 macrumors newbie

Hardware news site Daily Tech has reported that NVIDIA is making the mid-range GPU the 9600 GT. Expected are the following specifications:

64 Stream Processors.

20.8 billion texels/s fillrate.

650 MHz core clock, with a 1625 MHz unified shader clock.

900 MHz memory, with a 256-bit memory interface.

57.6 GB/s memory bandwidth.

Will support DirectX 10, Shader Model 4.0, OpenGL 2.1, and PCI-Express 2.0.

Is compatible with HDCP, but the implementation will depend on the manufacturer.
    Supports the Quantum Effects physics processing engine.

Almost double the performance of the current mid-range card, the GeForce 8600.

6. brandonshough macrumors regular

brandonshough

However, like many of us know paper specs don't mean jack.

Wait for the benchmarks.

7. JWest macrumors 6502

:eek: Well if this is true then I stand corrected ;)

Keep in mind, this looks like the desktop model. I wonder what the specs are on the mobile version.

8. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I read that too. Hopefully w/ the die shrink on the GPU and the die shrink coming from the penryn chips, we'll see some good battery life!

I'm not much of a PC/Mac gamer. I have a Wii for gaming every now and then. HOWEVER, I REALLY want to play spore! So as long as the new MBPs can handle spore when it comes out in september, i'll be very happy! :p