New Graphic Update Excludes 2010 Macbook Pro Dynamic Switching Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ccashman92, Aug 17, 2010.

1. ccashman92 macrumors regular

The new graphic update didn't address the dynamic switching issue that may be causing the new spring 2010 Macbook Pro to be slower and freezing. This is an urgent thing that needs to be address and is being ignored by Apple. Does Apple not know about it? Has Apple just given up and figured they can't fix it? What is up with this!?

I paid 2.5k for my laptop and I really rather it not freeze or beach ball me when dynamic switching is switching graphic cards. I can't even load Youtube videos!!

2. ajphares macrumors newbie

I just turned it off dynamic switching because I was having problems with it. I was hoping this update fixed this issue, but I guess not.

3. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Have YOu Tried Reinstalling Snow Leopard or taking your machine in for repairs as Snow Leopard isn't the problem i have the same machine as you except ssd and have never encountered a problem

4. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

:confused:
    I've had no problems with my dynamic switching. Lucky me I guess. But gaming does suck.

5. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

I went in for repairs, they first thought it was the OS. So I went home re-installed, negative. Went back, we thought it was the RAM, so he ordered new RAM. Took it in for the switch, took almost a week. It came out negative and was still acting up. They are now replacing my laptop which I don't think will fix the issue.

Loads of people have reported this issue. More have reported it happening rather than not. But you know people complain more than praise.

6. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

While gaming or using any animation your graphic card will automatically switch to Nvidia. Otherwise it sticks with Intel. While switching it will freeze or beach ball for most people. It will also cause loading videos to be EXTREMELY slow.

Even when turning off dynamic switching I still have issues.

7. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Most people ???
    Mind you the hardware shouldn't be a problem either.....
    Anyway just keep taking it back to them till they fix it, argue if you need.

8. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

There is a whole thread of people, its 7 pages if I remember correctly.
    First you say it isn't the software, now it isn't the hardware. Then what is it?
    That is what I plan on doing. It is just frustrating having to take it back every 3 days.

9. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

Someone mind explaining me what is the problem with the GFX card switching?
    I myself have 2.53 i5 MBP, but other than 0,5 sec. freeze when switching, I haven't noticed any problems. I also installed GFXCardStatus and have it set up that MBP uses nVidia on power and Intel on battery. It really is awesome!

10. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

No one knows why... We are just pretty sure the graphic switching is causing major issues. Some worse then others. Idid the same thing and it has some what cooled it down but it still flips out sometimes.

11. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

Yes thank you I know what dynamic switching is. And I don't think it's most people...

12. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

You don't need to be smart when you put the ":confused:" like you don't understand what it is. Chill out.

Look here is a 21 page thread about it with plenty of people complaining: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=912218&page=21

13. mark28 macrumors 68000

No freezing here and youtube videos work fine.

14. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm guessing it is only on a some. Cause that 21 page thread has a lot of people and we all thought this was gonna fix it. It hasn't.

15. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

Not trying to sound smart. But don't you think I would know a little something about the laptop before spending $1700? And I put that because I don't have any problems with it and didn't know it was such a huge issue.

16. HacKage macrumors regular

I suffer from major problems while it tries to switch gpu. If I open up Firefox, and click on my facebook bookmark on the bar, my system totally locks up and shows the beachball. The system will stay locked up for anything upto a minute while it tries to switch. This happens every time if I have it on dynamic, but if I have it set on nvidia only, it opens up instantly with no jumping or anything. Very annoying to say the least, and the fact that it is happening on a laptop I payed £1900 on is a joke.

17. wesrk macrumors 6502a

Any success stories with an early 08 MBP? A forum user posted that the update killed his MBP (well hard to say if it was the update or just a coincidence that after he applied the update his MBP died), so I'm waiting until I see some success stories with the early 08 MBP's before updating mine.

18. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

Not trying to sound smart. But don't you think I would know a little MORE about the laptop since I spent 2.5k and have been researching Macbooks for years? Yeah, trust me its a huge issue. Just read through that thread.

This just happens randomly to me. I use Safari and it does it when I load sites with animation. I turned off dynamic switching and it still is messing up every once in a while. I'm not sure why if it was only the switching. I spend $2,550... I pretty sure that is enough to get what I paid for.

I have not. I saw that though. Very strange. I think it was just a software glitch but who knows.

19. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

Also, look at this: http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2420192&tstart=0

63 pages of upset customers. All about freezing 2010 Macbook Pros.

20. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Wow, nice info! I've been using GFXCardStatus and missed that option in Preferences. Why the heck doesn't Apple offer this feature? It's horrible that they only allow you to choose to run the Nvidia card or Dynamic switching only.

I'm also having very good luck with my 15" MBP Core i5. I've had zero freezing issues and no issues with graphics switching.

21. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Yer just realized my post is a bit confusing Considering the it can't be software, or hardware really. i believe it is a unique combination of the two affecting certain users. Don't know what it is just that it doesn't affect most users. as i recommended just take the computer back

22. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

You still are contradicting yourself.

23. wschutz macrumors 6502

I don't have the time to do a simple script to plot the frequency of people posting per day and week over time... but since I have followed that thread and another one at Apple forums (because I was going to buy this model as soon as it was released but this problem held my purchase until now) I can say that the number of people reporting this problem has decreased dramatically...

When did you buy your unit? Most of the people complaining happened between the release and early June... after then, the number of people reporting this kind of problem was reduced a lot...

Some people said it was the hard disk (and switching the stock Seagate for a Hitachi model seemed to solve the problem), some others said it was this gfxCard software, and some others said it was a batch of processors because the same was happening with other laptop manufacturers... still the fix is replacing the logic board until you find one which works properly.

I have finally ordered myself one of this laptops a day before yesterday since the time to buy has come and I need it too. In any case, I'm of course another candidate for this problem, and if it happens, I will make Apple fix this problem until it is fixed (I did it with the previous laptop I owned, a Late 2008 which had the famous flickering screen and I will do it with this one if necessary).

24. MikhailT macrumors 601

The plot wouldn't tell you anything significant. People do not just report everyday that they are still having issues or NOT having issues. There's a lot of lurkers at both forums just trying to find a solution but do not post at all. Reading 1000 posts of "Still having the issue" doesn't benefit anybody.

If this is both hardware and software issue, Apple needs to say that instead of just being silent on this.

25. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

I bought my maybe 2 weeks after the release.