New graphics card for G5?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by HDproducer, Nov 30, 2007.

1. HDproducer macrumors member

I posted this on the buyers guide forum but got no response. Maybe you guys can help.

I have a G5 dual 2.0 with 5.5 GB ram and an ATI Radeon 9600 pro graphics card.

I have been running Final Cut Studio with no problems. Once I upgraded to FCS 2, it seems to drag with some of the new fetures. Motion 3 seems really slow! So I added 2 more gigs of ram to bring it up to the 5.5.

I am waiting for the new MP like so many of you, but I will keep this computer for off line editing and compressor and for a part time assistant editor to use.

Would it be worth it for me to upgrade the graphics card?

If so what would be a good choice of card for this type of work.

FYI the last computer game I played was Zork, so I don't care about gaming.

2. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

I'm not sure about Final Cut Studio, but Motion will benefit from a better video card.

Your Options for a AGP video card:

Retail ATI Radeon 9800 Mac Version
    Retail ATI Radeon X800XT Mac Version
    OEM ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    OEM ATI Radeon X850XT
    OEM Nvidia Geforce 6800 Ultra
    OEM Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT

The ATI Radeon 9800's would be a smalll upgrade, the ATI Radeon X800XT, ATI Radeon X850XT or Nvidia Geforce 6800 Ultra/GT would be the better upgrade.

It's getting hard to find the retail ATI Radeon X800XT and most of the OEM cards you will only be able to find used.

The ATI Radeon X800XT and X850XT support one 30" monitor (they have one dual-link DVI port). The Nvidia Geforce 6800 Ultra.GT supports two 30" monitors (they have two dual-link DVI ports).

3. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

What Kosh66 said.

The X800 XT is an excellent card.
    But you are going to have a hard time finding one.
    The cards are so scarce that eBay is selling them for big bucks.

ATI has recently depleted their inventory of ATI Radeon 9800 and X800 gpus.
    The reason being is they have reached their eol (end of life).
    In addition, the ATI Radeon X1900 for G5s is also going through eol.
    ATI has also said that they have no plans to introduce a Mac PCI card either.

In other words, if you are going to buy a card for your G5, this is may be the best time.

OWC has the X800 XT for $349. That's pretty steep.

Make absolutely certain that the video card you buy is a Mac Edition.
    Some people on eBay are selling PC cards for Macs that have been flashed.

4. HDproducer thread starter macrumors member

Does the card have to be AGP or can I get a pci-x and just add it.

5. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

There aren't any Mac-compatible PCI-X cards (which would be pretty slow, anyway). It has to be AGP. It can't be PCI-e either, which is incompatible. with AGP.

--Eric

6. HDproducer thread starter macrumors member

That is what I thought, but I wanted to be sure.

How does a Geforce 6800 ultra for $250 sound?

what about a x800 xt for $250?

7. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

The prices are good except that I don't think you can get the 6800 Ultra new.
    Are these prices for used video cards?
    If the video cards are used or if they are PC cards and flashed for Macs, then I do not like the prices.
    But that is your decision.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. HDproducer thread starter macrumors member

The 6800 sounds good for me as I would want it for Motion. I guess I would have to see how they would compare to my current ATI Radeon 9600 pro. Where did you find those specs?

9. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

10. HDproducer thread starter macrumors member

How can I tell? I found one or two on ebay that say they are converted, but other than that how can I tell?

The best price I have found so far is $279 for the 6800 ultra

11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Keep in mind also that the 6800 Ultra is a double wide card, so it blocks the PCI slot next to the AGP slot.

I have a 6800GT in my G4 tower (a flashed PC card) and it is a solid performer. Given the choice I'd go with the X850XT, if you can find one.

Avoid buying a flashed PC card - if you're going to flash do it yourself.

12. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

You'll find it some place in the description.
    I saw one for example, it was called a "Mac GeForce eVGA 6800 Ultra."
    Right away I knew that was a PC card because no third party manufacturers make nVidia cards for Macs.
    In this case eVGA is the video card manufacturer.
    The seller does say that it is a PC video card.
    And you can also "Ask seller a question."

13. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

14. just02 macrumors member

I've had my eye on a new graphics card for my G5 for the past few months, specifically the ATI X800 XT. There were several sites up until a couple of nights ago that had them in stock. Realizing there were very few left, I snatched one up for a decent price at B & H Foto & Electronics ($299.95) and no sales tax unless you live in NY. :D

EDIT: A lot of you guys are recommending cards that will not work in either of our G5s. AGP only. :/

15. JeffreyM macrumors newbie

Let's talk. jeffrey.mcmurtrie@rogers.com.

16. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

There is a very important caveat concerning flashing AGP 7800 series cards - only cards based on the G70 core will work. Later cards using the G71 core (which are much more common) will not work.
    It isn't always obvious which core is used in which card, so if you plan to do this flash you need to do your homework.

It's a great card though, and you can pick up a PC 7800 pretty cheap these days.

The X1900 PRO G5 Mac Edition is also a nice card, but it will cost a lot more money than a PC 7800 series card.

17. sk8ordie macrumors regular

sk8ordie

18. just02 macrumors member

Crap. That's peachy... and my order shipped out today. :rolleyes: I should have just sold my G5 and gotten a Mac Pro, which I don't need. :(

19. sk8ordie macrumors regular

sk8ordie

I know what you mean, Ive contemplated selling my G5, but still I would end up paying an additional $2K for the MacPro (which I dont need either ;) )

Thats technology for you.....although I must admit that my G5 has served me VERY well the past 4 yrs which is ages in the tech world...some more RAM should keep me in the loop for at least another 2 yrs (Im still on 512mb and the 5200 video card).....

20. just02 macrumors member

Another 2GBs of ram and a new harddrive should help ya out. :D

I just emailed B&H asking about returning the item before I even get it. I seriously don't want to deal with an X800 if everyone is having issues right now. My 9600xt should be good for another year or two.

21. HDproducer thread starter macrumors member

I think if you refuse the delivery it just goes back to B&H. They will call you to see if you want it shipped again or just credit your card back. I have bought lots of stuff from them, with no problems returning things.

So I am thinking of getting a 6800 Ultra, but what kind of performance increase should I expect with Motion 3? I am hoping that by upgrading from the 9600pro 64MB I can get another year of so out of the G5.

That way I can be waiting in for the next MP update!

22. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I don't know anything about Motion in terms of actual performance numbers, but in synthetic benchmarks and games the 6800 Ultra is more than twice as fast as the Radeon 9600 Pro in all tasks.