NEW Graphics Card -- How much better will it really be?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by salilsundresh, Jul 26, 2007.

1. salilsundresh macrumors 6502

I am currently considering replacing my graphics card for my Powermac G5, but I'm not sure if it would be worth money based on how much I would gain in terms of performance from it? I primarily use Final Cut Studio 2 (though, not so much Color) and Creative Suite.
    Current computer specs:
    Dual 1.8ghz Powermac G5
    1.25gb ram
    GeForce FX 5200 -- 64mb VRAM
    2 x 300gb SATA drives

Looking to spend not more than $150. Would more ram be a better investment? :confused: I'm on a tight budget here.

PS: I don't really do much of any 3-d work.

2. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

The opposite of that statement right there would be the main reason to upgrade your video card. Other than that, Motion and Aperature are the only other two reasons to upgrade. Do you use either.

As well, a worthwhile Video card upgrade is going to cost over $150. But unless you do 3D work use Motion or Aperature, you're not going to see what you're paying for.

You may want to consider a RAM upgrade. Most Pros consider 1GB of memory as the minimum for doing Pro work.

3. statikcat macrumors 6502

statikcat

I would say 2gb min easy. Maybe the OP is interested in performance difference in games?

4. salilsundresh thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I use Motion, but not so much in 3-d, despite it's new offering. I do use motion quite frequently though, and it can get reeeealy slow!

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Get a new video card and more RAM, and I think you'll be quite pleased.

6. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

video..

hm.. looks like you have reasonable drives, however you cold go for a fast 10K Raptor drive for that budget. This drive as a boot drive made a difference in my old G4. However your graphic card is very old. I would defently go for a different solution, but 2 G Ram would be in my opinion very important. I would go for the Ram and than see if you could still get another video card on ebay. You may get a view bucks for yours as well.

7. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

At this point and time the best thing you could do get more RAM. If you aren't feeling the crunch from the lack of a good video card then save your money. Get the RAM so your computer will have a "noticable" performance boost, and save the bulk of your cash for a new computer down the road a while.

I ran into the same choice a few weeks ago. I have a dual 2GHz G5 with a GIG and a half of RAM. The only video card that was a worthy upgrade would cost me $350, and since I am facing more issues with lack of RAM than with lack of video memory I decided to get the RAM... I will pocket much of my freelance cash for a MacPro (which comes with a better graphics card) and try my best to ride with my G5 for as long as I can.

8. salilsundresh thread starter macrumors 6502

Good point, yeah I am probably going to be selling this G5 in less than a year and buy a Macbook Pro so I'll start saving for that.