New graphics card

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MrUnkn0wn, Aug 12, 2010.

1. MrUnkn0wn macrumors newbie

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Ok, so I have a macbook 2,1. The graphics card is an intel 950 gma. Bad peformance on games, so I would like to get a different one. My main question is, My old computer on which I still have, broke. But the graphics card is still working because it was not related to it breaking. I do NOT know what card it was specifically, but It was a Nvidia card. That's all I know. Unless someone knows what card is on the Compaq Presario F500, because that's my old computer. Is it possible to put that card in my macbook? If any more details are needed, then ask. And I know someone who if it is possible, can put it in.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

No. The Macbook's graphics card is not replaceable, its part of the main logic board. The best thing to do is sell your Macbook and purchase a more recent one. The one's with the 9400M or 320 nVidia cards can play most games.

3. MrUnkn0wn thread starter macrumors newbie

So then If I have the option on an ati card from another macbook, I cant?

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

No. These graphics chips are actually integrated into the logic boards, you can't do anything to upgrade them. Its like that for most laptops in general.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No, you cannot switch the Macbook's graphics card.

6. MrUnkn0wn thread starter macrumors newbie

7. MrUnkn0wn thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok bringing this thread back to life. There NOTHING I can do about this? Not replace anything?

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Nothing has changed. No, there is nothing you can do short of selling your MacBook and buying a newer one.

9. MrUnkn0wn thread starter macrumors newbie

Jeez, your always everywhere to answer questions.... Now, is an ati card from about a 2008 macbook (I don't know the exact card) better than an intel 950 card?

10. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Probably.

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I do seem to be around a lot, don't I? MacBooks had, gma950, intel x3100, nvidia 9400m, nvidia 320m. The 9400m is ok for gaming (about the same as an ATI X1600) and the 320m is even better. Look for an early 2009 MacBook or later.

12. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Just about anything is better than the 950. But the 9400m in mine is decent, I can play Sims 3 at mediumish settings @1680x1050 with reasonable performance on my monitor. 320m is a good bit better