New Graphics Cards in June Update or No?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Musouka, May 10, 2008.

  1. Musouka macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 10, 2008
    #1
    I know that the processor will be updated in a month or two in the MBP, but are they also going to be updating the 8600 GT? Possibly to the 8700? Or are they going to stick with the 8600?

    This is the main factor in my decision on whether to purchase a MBP now or in a few months (I really need a new computer, but if the new MBP will have a significant performance increase then I want to wait for that).
     
  2. MacBookProJoe macrumors regular

    MacBookProJoe

    Joined:
    May 7, 2008
    Location:
    Seattle, Warshington
    #2
    Hey Mus, I almost did the same thing youre talking about. I couldnt wait so I bought a MBP with the 8600 GT. I suspect any upgrade will be to the 8800 series, as the 8700 is nothing but an 8600 over clocked. Both the 8600 and 8700 offer 32 stream processors. The 8800 GTS offers 64 stream processors, the 8800GTX offers 92 stream processors.

    It's my hope that Apple will offer the 8800 GTX (M), and if they do Ill promptly sell my current MBP and buy a new one with the 8800GTX in it.


    Tom
     
  3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #3
    That would be cool if the 17" has the 8800GTX because it has the more efficient bigger heatsink.
     
  4. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2008
    #5
    No kidding lol. Yeah I don't know why people keep asking this question when NOBODY here knows the answer. And if they did know something they couldn't say because they would be under NDA. Nobody is going to be able to say for sure the month when Apple will release the next MBP update and nobody knows what graphics card they will use.

    I will say that it's unlikely though that they would use another nVidia 8 series card when the nVidia 9 series mobile cards are coming and ATI has a new mobile card coming. The 8700 wouldn't be that much of an upgrade and the 8800 runs too hot to put into the current designed MBP.
     
  5. Mackan macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2007
    #6
    Common sense and reasoning would point towards either a 9500M or 9600M card in the next revision of the MBP. They might even look at some of ATI's alternatives again.

    Either they update the MBP in June, or at the end of the summer. I would say it is about 60-40 in favour of an update in June.
     
  6. tYsopz macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2007
    Location:
    Norway
    #7
    8800 series cards does not fit in a MBP. Not even the 17".
     
  7. masse macrumors 6502a

    masse

    Joined:
    May 4, 2007
    Location:
    MA/GA
    #8
    sadly it will probably be the same...but there's always hope for something better (9600m), but even then it will only be marginally so.
     
  8. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2008
    #9
    I seriously doubt that Apple would keep the 8600M in the top of the line MBP if anything else is available for the refresh because other vendors will be shipper the newer 9 series cards as soon as they're available in the mobile market.
     

Share This Page