New Griffin Reveals?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by TarHeelBorn88, Jul 26, 2010.

1. TarHeelBorn88 macrumors regular

Does anyone know if Griffin has started shipping new Reveal cases to Best Buy? By new, I mean revised Reveal with larger camera and flash hole. I cannot tell if I bought a new one or an older one.

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I was wondering the same thing. I just picked one up from Best Buy Friday evening and haven't tried out the flash trick yet on it.

3. number9 macrumors 6502

Is the cut out key hole shaped (smaller around the flash, bigger around the camera), or is the cut out the same radius around the flash and the cutout? If its the keyhole style, then it's still the old one.

4. Knarl macrumors member

I can't speak to whether or not they are in stores yet, but I bought the Griffin Reveal on launch, and when I heard they were offering a free improved replacement unit, I called Griffin last week to have them send one to me, and it is currently in the mail.

I don't think Griffin issued a recall for this item, so I'm guessing places like Best Buy probably have old stock on the shelves still. If they have received new ones, maybe they just stuck them on the shelves along with the old stock.

But if you have an old one or have issues with the flash, just call Griffin customer support - they are aware of the issue and they are very kindly sending out a new case that is supposed to fix the flash issue to anyone with a receipt that shows they bought one of the old cases. I don't know if there is a purchase cut-off date to qualify for this.

5. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Thanks for the info. I'm going to return mine though because I ended up ordering the Griffin Reveal Etch via the free case program. Granted I won't receive it for another month, but I'll wait especially since it's free :D

6. Knarl macrumors member

Best Buy has a 30 day return policy, so you can keep the one you bought and return it on the 30th day if you want, just so you make sure your phone is protected while your free case is on its way.

7. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I have a few cheapos around the house that I will use until I get my free one. I'm actually using my i4 without a case currently. Don't think that's going to last long though.

8. nyisles84 macrumors regular

I got my improved one delivered friday. It is the larger cutout and it does solve the flash problem.

9. maverick86 macrumors 6502a

Is the case a nice snug fit or does it have any sort of give where the phone might move a little while inside? Someone in another thread mentioned that it felt kind of cheap and collected dust easily, is that true?

10. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

It fits nicely in the case, but it's prone to collect dust though and the back of the i4 may get scratched as well.

11. maverick86 macrumors 6502a

Does this case bubble screen protectors? I have a Zagg on the back and SGP on the front so I get the feeling one or both might bubble.

12. TarHeelBorn88 thread starter macrumors regular

Can someone post a picture of the new one that they received as a replacement from Griffin?

13. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

Yes, Griffin has redesigned the reveal and they are shipping new ones.

I purchased mine about a month ago from bestbuy and I notified them of the issue with the case and when one takes a picture using the flash. They are sending me a new one in the mail.

14. TarHeelBorn88 thread starter macrumors regular

Is this the new one or old one? Please let me know

Attached Files:

15. missygal Guest

missygal

I tried it on and I have screen protection and it didnt bubble or peel the ends!

16. troop231 macrumors 603

That's the old one, just picked up a new one at Walmart tonite.

17. TarHeelBorn88 thread starter macrumors regular

Post a picture of the new one please so I know what to pick up, thanks

18. troop231 macrumors 603

Here ya go: BTW the Zagg IS does NOT work with the Reveal, the edges peel up, gonna take Zagg off and send it back anyways.

Pic (Click for full size): [​IMG]

19. maverick86 macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to peel up the back? I have the Zagg there so somehow I thought it might be Ok. The SGP Oleophobic on the front I have no clue about

20. troop231 macrumors 603

I think if you take the back off, you'll be find, however having the front and back on at the same time is too thick for the case. I'm afraid of the iPhone back scratching from the plastic from the Reveal.

21. bigbro1096 macrumors 6502a

Don't return it!

There was an earlier thread and all you have to do is email griffin a pic of the case and if possible the receipt (in my case i didn't have the receipt) and they will ship out the revised one free to you, even the shipping is free, then you'll have two griffin reveals and on the old version just get a sharpie and outline the inside of the cutout for the camera. I finalized my free replacement friday and UPS got the information to ship it today. BTW my free bumper from Apple has also started to ship but it is USPS. :rolleyes:

22. nyisles84 macrumors regular

I have the zagg on the front and back, and it fits in the case just fine. As long as you put it on right it won't peel up.

23. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I wanted to bump this up since Griffin is shipping out a free replacement case to all the owners of the first gen. I bought mine yesterday at BB because of instant gratification and fear of scratching the thing between ordering it online and getting it in the mail. :(

Anyway, spoke to a rep and they want your info and email. The send an email asking for your a pic/scan of the receipt then you'll get the replacement. If you are bought one of these and can't return for a new one at the store (new ones might not be in) Griffin is shipping them out. :cool:

24. Atenza6 macrumors member

Watermarks or no watermarks......

I wonder if the reveal will work with a phantomskins matte back skin without the ugly watermark effect on the plastic back. I know that bestskinsever will cause watermarks with the reveal due to the gummy texture of the back skin. However, because the phantomskin is a matte texture I think it may fit without watermarks. Anyone know if im right?

25. TarHeelBorn88 thread starter macrumors regular

UPDATE: Griffin is sending me a new one. At least they stand behind their products. Did they make you send the other ones back?