Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SadChief

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Montpellier, France
Hi all,
I have a Mac Pro 5,1 running OS X 10.8.4. Today I received my brand new GTX 680 Mac Edition.
I've already sold my old card.
I correctly installed the new card, but the computer keeps rebooting again and again. Machine is getting stuck at the grey Apple logo screen and the small rolling progress circle would "get stuck" right before it would load the log-in screen/desktop. And the black screen, and new reboot again and again.
From my MBP I re-installed 10.8.4 (MP in target mode) - to no avail.
I have a clone drive of my Master drive, and I can still choose which one to start from - same thing.
Swapped OWC RAM sticks with original RAM sticks - didn't help.
PRAM and SMC reset didn't help either.
Thank you for any hint you may have.
(I'm typing this from my MBP)

Last edited:

SadChief

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Montpellier, France
had this same exact problem:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1602417/

reinstall of OSX worked. not reformat/reinstall, just a reinstall from a 10.8.4 created USB thumbdrive. basically it lets you keep your programs, installs, and almost all settings if you do this.

Tried to install from a 10.8.4 created USB thumbdrive, as you suggested.
Same thing unfortunately :(
I think I'll have to send it back for a refund :mad:
Thank you for having taken from your time for me!

Last edited:

ticotoo

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
EVGA GTX 680 install

My 680 install on a 2010 5,1 when fine & has been working great either with the OSX drivers or the NVIDIA drivers. You may want to check to be sure the card is properly seated in the slot & the "latch" is engaged & the power cables/monitor tightly connected. You never know, it may save you a return.

SadChief

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Montpellier, France
Thank you very much to all participants in this thread!
I tried a different PCIe slot also as suggested, and checked every connection I could think of. Nothing changed unfortunately.
Now the card will be sent for a replacement (got the RMA from EVGA in the meantime). EVGA Support was very reactive and efficient I must say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.