Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bazkaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2006
Hello,

I'm looking at getting the first real Mac of my life (I had an Apple IIe way back in the day). I just wanted some advice on what you all would recomend. I'm doing a lot of web development and programming right now, but don't know the differences in Macs and PCs for Mhz for instance. I know the Mac can get more done with less, but I don't know where the break even point is. I've been around PCs my whole life, but have been using some macs at work recently and I love OS X... the Macs at work just glide... it's so nice.

I've looked on Craigslist, my local mac store (Volker Research in Colorado Springs), and ebay for some, but I'm just not sure what to look for. I've been told to get at least a G4 because the increase over the G3 is very noticable... but that's about it so far. I do have a Wi-fi network in my house so that would be cool also. I've been told I need an Airport card for that.

Any tips you can give would be appreciated. Especially on Processor preference. As far as budget I'm hoping to stay under $1000. It doesn't have to be new... I just need something I can work on and test out. Thanks.

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
advice

sinces its just web dev and programming, i think a core duo mini would prolly do you just about right, if not that, then i might take a step up and get an imac...

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Bazkaz said:
Hello,

I'm looking at getting the first real Mac of my life (I had an Apple IIe way back in the day). I just wanted some advice on what you all would recomend. I'm doing a lot of web development and programming right now, but don't know the differences in Macs and PCs for Mhz for instance. I know the Mac can get more done with less, but I don't know where the break even point is. I've been around PCs my whole life, but have been using some macs at work recently and I love OS X... the Macs at work just glide... it's so nice.

I've looked on Craigslist, my local mac store (Volker Research in Colorado Springs), and ebay for some, but I'm just not sure what to look for. I've been told to get at least a G4 because the increase over the G3 is very noticable... but that's about it so far. I do have a Wi-fi network in my house so that would be cool also. I've been told I need an Airport card for that.

Any tips you can give would be appreciated. Especially on Processor preference. As far as budget I'm hoping to stay under $1000. It doesn't have to be new... I just need something I can work on and test out. Thanks.

I'd recommend an iMac. I do web design and programming as well but on a PowerBook. All Macs come with built in Airport cards. If the iMac is out of your range I would get a Mini and supe it up as much as your budget will allow.

Palad1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2004
London, UK
If you are a developping, chances are one day you'll end up using Microsoft Tools, and believe me, they are a pain to use on a G4 (using Virtual PC).

So you need an intel Mac.

Are you a student? Enlisted in a CS department?
If so, you are eligible for the ADC student discount (weeeeheee) which entitles you to about 20% discount on your first Mac hardware purchase.

1k$ should cover a nice 17'' iMac Core Duo. ;)

http://developer.apple.com/students/sthardware.html

If you are not elligible, you could get a nice Mac Mini Core Duo, add some RAM, get a nice 19'' as well as a keyboard for about 1k$.

Or you could wait a bit and check out the refurb store each morning ;)

Bazkaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2006
I am a student right now actually... thanks for the link and the info. Appreciate the advice.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
don't know the differences in Macs and PCs for Mhz for instance.

Well that's about to change my friend. Now that macs are running intel processors, there really is no difference between our "MHZ" and the PC's "MHZ". But with PowerPC, it's a different story. They can run at a lower clock speed (MHZ) and be faster than your average pc. Example: My iMac G5 is at 1.8 ghz, it probably is just as fast as a 3 ghz pc. The AMD processors are also like this, a lower clock rate but still giving great performance but they are different and stay in dull little boxes.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
The iMac is very well configured for a total system.

OS X does love RAM, so plan on buying at least 1 GB 3rd party RAM
and preferably 2 GB for best overall performance.

The core duo mini's are great if you already have a nice display and you're working on a tighter budget, however the mini runs on a 5400 RPM HD, has considerably less storage, less VRAM and fewer connectivity options.

Palad1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2004
London, UK

I just checked out the iMac specs, not too shabby... There even is a dvi display port so if you get involved into windows development, you can add a second screen, and that's a good thing, because Visual Studion 2005 Team Server Edition Turbo NCH edition ;) could use more screen estate than a 17'' display has to offer...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.