New guy here...coming from the PC land

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ZaSheR, Nov 29, 2010.

1. ZaSheR macrumors newbie

ZaSheR

Hello all,

Didn't see a formal introduction forum so figured this was as good as any. Name is Eric, new to this forum as well as the Apple world (computer-wise). I just purchased my first apple computer, iMac 2.93 i7, 16gb ram, 2 tb hd...going to be used for video editing mostly. The most I have done with apple computers is playing around at Best Buy. I do own an iPad, and iPhone which has helped sway me into switching to Apples for my video editing, computer needs. I have a pretty decent PC laptop I have been using Vegas Pro on for editing, interesting in seeing how the transition to FC Pro will be.

Well that's my story, now I play the waiting game for the new iMac to show up on my doorstep.

Nice to meet everyone,
    Eric :apple:

2. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new purchase!

3. Irishman macrumors 68030

It's good to have you with us!

Welcome to the tribe.

4. Jethrotoe macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

1. Welcome
    2. Come on in the Mac water's fine.
    3. This is the best forum to be on.
    4. Do a lot of searching before asking, most has been asked before.
    4. Welcome again.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd

Welcome to the Cult!

Please post pix.
    I'm really excited for u

7. iubhounds macrumors regular

iubhounds

New Owner

Have been reading the iPad side of the forum since Oct 22. Read more about the iMac and finally made the jump after a pc user since 1996. After many tormenting thoughts I went with the 21". I do a lot of work with excel spreadsheets that have inventory from suppliers to upload to my website.

So far so good, don't have any complaints moving my excel sheets to numbers. Over 60,000 images for products transferred into iphoto...still learning how to get them back into folders with the suppliers name.

Just found out tonight that my HP 1350 all in one will print but will not scan thanks to HP not updating for OS 10.6. Need to scan though.

Overall, a great computer just as I expected...the 21" looks large and beautiful and that is after moving from a 24 LG that my pc had. Sales rep suggested hooking up the 24" LG as a 2nd monitor but i tend to like the 21" as a stand alone.

I just wanted to say hello and I enjoy all the information that I read on this forum for the iphone, ipad and now imac.od

8. threeputt macrumors member

Welcome aboard, from another Mac newbee, two weeks ago

9. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd

I cant wait to hear about your experiences with ur new Mac!

10. krravi macrumors 65816

I have been using the Mac mini for a year to test the Mac. So far impressed. I am from the Windows world as well. I have a very fast Windows machine (core i7,12 GB Ram, nVidia GTX 260.. etc). But i found that my impoverished mac mini (1.8 Ghz, 2 Gb Ram) often kept up or exceeded my windows PC in terms of performance(file copy etc, not graphics).

So finally i made the plunge and got me an iMac 21.5" Core i3. Just putting it through its paces, by installing Apple Logic Studio. My mac mini couldn't handle the Demo songs, but everything else worked fine. Lets see how it goes... :)

11. mouse123 macrumors member

Wow, congrats on your new purchase! Would like to ask u is your 16GB RAM a BTO from the apple store? Or u bought it aftermarket? Do u face any problems?

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Welcome to MR ... that machine is Sexy. ... treat her well. :cool:

13. ZaSheR thread starter macrumors newbie

ZaSheR

I will let you know after I test it out, I have also read about the issues but it seems its based around people upgrading. I however ordered with the 16GB from Apple...so shouldn't be an issue from what I read.

Should be here Thursday... [​IMG]

14. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Greetings & Welcome to the Forum.

My compliments on your excellent choice of Macs. Having Apple increase the ram ads the peace of mind that it's tested & all ready to enjoy.

Cheers... :)

15. 7thMac macrumors 6502

Warm welcome. Now go back! (Just kidding, this is a good forum.) Many people here use both Macs and PCs so it's not necessarily one land or the other.

16. Sam.L macrumors newbie

welcome from newbie

Welcome! I'm new to mac too. Just got my iMac 21.5" i5 recently.

17. whoda macrumors member

whoda

Congratulations and welcome to the Mac side of life.
    I switched to Mac in October of 2009 and love it.
    One of the best tips I was given when I started with Mac: If you cannot figure out how to do something you did in Windows, try to forget how you did it before and think, "how should this be done?". Chances are that is how it is with Apple. Very user friendly and almost natural way of doing things.

18. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

Ha ha ha ha ha. :)

That just about explains my learning curve having come here from decades of Windows and Office.

I'm surprised, but so far I have been able to stay away from Office 2011. I have so far been able to do absolutely everything I want to do with the Apple operating system, Adobe and iWork. Very few errors from somebody else's Windows Office system are anything other than a font or page limit (border) problem.

19. mouse123 macrumors member

But is iWork files compatible with windows microsoft office? Can ppl with office running on xp read iwork files?

20. lexvo macrumors 65816

You can read Office files in iWork. And you can export from iWork to Office. I do this all the time with files from my work when working at home. I don't know if Office can read native iWork files.

21. ZaSheR thread starter macrumors newbie

ZaSheR

What I have been waiting to see...

Dec 3, 2010 7:53 AM: On FedEx vehicle for delivery

Pictures to follow :D

22. keen-on-mac-1 macrumors member

keen-on-mac-1

Welcome and congratz for your new Mac !

can't wait to see the pictures. :)

23. ZaSheR thread starter macrumors newbie

ZaSheR

Here she is...just getting to enjoy her this morning since i had a party I had to attend last night...Saturday's plans.....canceled :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd

Ha, Mac side of the room.. Clean and tidy
    Pc side of the room... A mess of cables and ugly old pc stuff

25. yankintx macrumors 6502

I noticed that too. Bought my boys each an IMac for Christmas and made the mistake of opening one of the boxes and using the iMac for a couple of hours.

Now I need one, and will get rid of the tangled wire mess with my pc.