New guy here. please help with my iphone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WhiteIphone5, May 27, 2011.

1. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

hi guys, im new to this whole forum thing so bare with me please :)
    yesterday i was going out for a run, it was about 85F , i was running for about an hour and had my iphone 4 *2 weeks old(white iphone). and when i stopped to reply a text message the back of my phone was wet. keep in mind it was really hot and i was wearing sweatpants. after that my home button stopped working. it would make random face-time calls and activate VOice Control all the time. so i was checking my phone and i see a red/pink color where my iphone's dock is. but how when i never dropped it in water.my headphone jack is clear (white). haven't submerge my iphone in any type of water. i have a meeting with apple tomorrow at their retail store. will they replace my iphone? what do u guys think?:apple:

2. 184550 Guest

Apple's been more picky with checking the moisture sensor(s), no? It'll be hard to prove you didn't accidentally get the device in water, etc...

If it's as new as you say and there aren't any other problems, I imagine they might exchange it. I'd bring all the documentation/ receipt/ etc...

Good Luck.

3. svenn macrumors 6502

You can try that story at the apple store, but when they see the red moisture sensor, you could be sol. Or you could get lucky and walk out with a working phone.

4. 184550 Guest

Very true, it really depends on the Genius you get and his/ her generosity that day.

5. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Apple adopted a new policy of checking internal water sensors in order to determine if the phone was indeed submerged? Many people have reported pink sensors when the phone was used in high-humidity areas, so OP may still have some luck.

Of course your sensor may have been tripped by your own sweat and the fact that the home button is temperamental doesn't help your case. Sounds like you got water (or sweat) in the phone.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Next time try not to sweat on it so much and hope the Apple Rep takes it easy on you.

7. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

its just the home button not working

it would work for an hour then stop for the whole day then work again:(. again it was not put into any type of water. headphone jack still clear. and does it really depend on the genius guy? oh man :/

8. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

I had a problem similar in October with my 3GS white. The phone wasn't working right. So I brought it in. The pink color was on the dock area however, when they took it apart it had no moisture so I was told that the phone was fine but it would give me a problem in the future and since it wasn't submerged in water as they saw when they took it apart they offered me a swap before anything happened.

Basically they said we can swap it now because it is pink but not submerged. it will work now since not submerged but sooner or later due to the pink it'll eventually stop working.

So in their eyes it was not damaged by submersion so the warranty was still valid for a swap.

This was at the Fifth Ave NYC store

9. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

I just did some searching and that is the case according to a few articles from earlier this year.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...y-tweaks-policy-on-iphone-water-damage/70537/

The OP may be in luck but the only real way to find out is to take it to Apple.

Good luck OP.