Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AxelMonkey

macrumors regular
Original poster
DSCF0191.jpg

ISO 100
f/3.7
1/400
0.0ev
6.3mm

DSCF0206.jpg

ISO 100
f/3.7
1/320
0.0ev
6.3mm

IMG_2185.jpg

ISO 400
f/4
1/60
0.0ev
28.0mm

IMG_2258.jpg

ISO 200
f/13
1/250
0.0ev
55.0mm

I could use some C&C

BeamWalker

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
I have no idea what C&C is.

*everbody dance now*

There is no real focuspoint in the first one.

I would have gone for a different angle in the 2nd one, it looks very 2D.

The swans seem kinda overexposed. You should have used a smaller aperture.

*Isn't that what the digital photography part of the forum is for?*

AxelMonkey

macrumors regular
Original poster
I have no idea what C&C is.

*everbody dance now*

There is no real focuspoint in the first one.

I would have gone for a different angle in the 2nd one, it looks very 2D.

The swans seem kinda overexposed. You should have used a smaller aperture.

*Isn't that what the digital photography part of the forum is for?*

C&C from what I understand is Constructive Criticism.

I wish I could of got a different angle but I was hard to just get that shot, and high-tide was coming in. I didnt wanna get stuck on a huge rock in the middle of the ocean.

the Geese are alittle over exposed.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
C&c

AHAHA Music factory lol.

C&C = Comments and Critiques.

This belongs in the Digital Photography section...

That being said

Photo 1 - No focal point. I don't know which part of the image to look at, it looks like you just pointed the camera at some grass with flowers and clicked.

Photo 2- It does look 2d like previous poster mentioned. Try shooting from a bit lower, so you are shooting diagonally rather than straight down. The patterns of the flower and the background clash and are hard to look at.

Photo 3 - Not much to say about this one, looks like a standard snapshot of some girl taken inside with the on camera flash.

Photo 4 - This is my favorite of all of them. Would look better zoomed in more, or cropped tighter. I'm guessing you took it at maximum zoom from the 55mm, so zoom with your feet or crop it tighter. It is also centered, and centering is, for the most part, a big no-no in photography.

Keep taking pictures, you will learn more from trial and error with yourself than you will from any of us :)

runlsd

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2009
not sure if i have anything to C&C. but you might get more responses from the Digital Photography forum. :)

Gold89

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2008
UK
You should have used a higher (f11?) aperture in the first photo to increase the depth of field and kept the whole image sharp. Or alternatively got closer with a wider aperture and just focused on one flower.

The second and fourth are not too bad and without being to harsh standard photos.

Three has the awful glare caused by on camera flash, off camera bounced would be far better. Also stepping back and using a longer zoom would get rid of the 'in your face' look.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
<snip>*Isn't that what the digital photography part of the forum is for?*

<snip>This belongs in the Digital Photography section...

<snip>

<snip> you might get more responses from the Digital Photography forum. :)

^^ This is the Digital Photography Forum. Someone in Photo of the Day, a sub-forum of Digital Photography, suggested that he should open his own thread to post more than one photo for comment.

^This suffers from a lack of a clear subject. Take time in the viewfinder to think of what you want the final image to look like. Your photos should say "Look at this!" instead of "What am I looking at??"

^ This is much better in term of subject separation from the background than the first. I would like to see more of the yellow flower. Make it fill the frame but still keep it off center like you have here.

^ I'm real weak in portrait photography. I stick to inanimate objects as much as possible. Spend time going through the web links in the sigs of the folks who post good portrait work in POTD. Try to see what they see. A good face shot always amazes me. My comments on this would be to have the subject look active and interesting. Eyes to the lens and mouth closed with a bit of a smile unless you're going for the serious thing. She looks spaced to me. It's OK to clip off a bit of the top of the head, but try to keep all of the face in the frame.

^ Exposure issues set aside, try to keep you subject out of the center of the frame. Centering tends to freeze the image and it has no feeling of movement. A shot like this that is cropped off on my right points the swans towards the center of the frame and then it seems to move.

On the exposure side, if your camera can be set to display warnings do that. Then the preview in the LCD after the shot will flash black and white if a part of the photo is overexposed. Then use the Exposure Compensation setting to move the exposure -1/3 or more stop until the flashing stops.

I could use some C&C
^^ If that's a whisky, I could use some too...:p

Dale

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.