New guy, need help getting started with roms

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by sjr235, Mar 8, 2009.

1. sjr235 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I was hoping somebody could help me get an nes , snes, genesis, whatever emulator working on my 1st gen touch. It is jailbroken and i have the icons for cydia and installer. i also have the actual emulators for nes, gamboy, etc but i just need to get roms. the problem is that i have been looking at "how to" videos on youtube and their installer screen always looks different than mine. do i need to input sources because there doesnt seem to be too many. they say to search for certain programs on installer and they never show up for me. if somebody could tell me what im doing wrong it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

unfortunately for yourself its against the rules of this board to share links for rom sources, the videos on youtube are more than likely from the days of installer for 1.1.4 and below which is why it looks different.

but if you ************************** I'm sure you will find an answer somewhere in the results

3. sjr235 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks andy so do i add this as a source on installer?

4. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

I'm not sure if you are looking for the location to get the ROMs or the location to put the ROMs on your touch. If the former, I don't think there is a Cydia source for them, you just have to know where to get them externally and ftp them onto your touch manually. Just as Mac Rumors is a forum for Mac users, there are similar forums for emulator users. If it is the latter, I can check my touch tonight to see where I placed the ROMs. I do remember setting up a soft link so that I could put the ROMs into the Air Share directory for easier changing, but that isn't necessary.

5. sjr235 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry guys i dont know what ftping is or anything but i have the jailbroken ipod with installer and cydia and i have the emulators downloaded but i cant figure out how to put roms on it. is there like some step by step list that can show exactly what i need to do to download roms on my macbook, and put them on my ipod or do i even need the macbook to get the roms at all?

6. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

Do these step-by-step:

-Get your silly NES emulator via Cydia.
    -Pick up OpenSSH via Cydia (if you haven't already). This is used to connect to your iPod touch using an SSH connection through your wifi.
    -Download your silly ROMS, and I've already Googled that for you. And if you need what they call a "ROM BIOS", Google has that too.
    -Connect to your iPod touch via SSH by following this link to where I Googled it for you.
    -Opening the emulator on your iPod touch, it should give you a directory to where you place the ROMs. Browse to that directory through the SSH we just connected to, and put the ROMs in there. Restart SpringBoard and you're on your way.

Hope that helped out.

Now we just need a tutorial on how to Google... :mad: