New guy on the block

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BustedVisaCard, May 14, 2012.

1. BustedVisaCard macrumors newbie

New guy and not new to online forums..

Moved to a new apartment and AT&T dropped the ball. So no internet hookup until who knows when. So in the mean time, all residents get free (no data cap) 4G USB data cards (this property just opened up a few months ago)

Tried to hold out for the new re-designed Pros but who knows when that will drop. And my iPad sat useless for the last month so I sold it for $300 to help fund the new toy. At least now I can get online and work from home on days that I'm not needed in the office.

Hope to learn a lot! I don't know jack about Apple products other than iPhones and iPads.. so I'm here to learn. I'm heavy into photos, excel, and tracking cigars/micro brews.

Macbook Air 13" 4GB/128GB

[​IMG]

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Welcome. I see salt in the background. What kind of salt do you use?

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Welcome to MacRumors. :)

Congrats on the new apartment and computer! Let us know if you have any questions. Have you started using iPhoto yet, or are you using a different program?

5. BustedVisaCard thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks..

I haven't had TOO much time to toy around.. but slowly. I'm using iPhoto. The "app" store isn't nearly as filled as I'm used to with the iPad so many programs I liked, are not on the Mac.

I'm slowly getting iPhoto. And trying to figure out the file system and swap over all my photos (about 40gb worth) onto the MBA from an external drive.

No one around me owns a mac, so I don't have anyone to personally go-to and ask for help so that's why I joined the forum.

K-cups - I like the Caribou brand. Green Mountain is okay (Island Coconut) but for the most part, any of the Caribous.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

The app store is still a but sparse; it's catching on slowly. There are A LOT of programs for Mac still not represented. You either have to download them directly from the developer's site, or buy the discs, etc.

I think the first thing to realize about iPhoto is that its file system management is impossibly complex. Unlike iTunes, the user is never meant to delve inside the files and folders. Instead, think of iPhoto as an extension of Finder (on Windows it's called 'Explorer')... Just import your photos into iPhoto and don't try to find it on your hard drive. :eek: Whats really nice about iPhoto is that it automatically saves your original images and seamlessly creates a duplicate when you start editing a photo. That way, you can always 'revert to original.'

7. BustedVisaCard thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm yeah I figured as much. Being 100% new to the Mac world, this is all a new learning curve for me, ontop of my current work load at work and dating life (I'm 26, I want to be married by 30!)

It's just an overall learning experience. I've been browsing this site a bit as a guest.. but like a PC, you didn't learn it all overnight!

I figured out a little more about iPhoto. And didn't know what "finder" exactly was until tonight. So that'll help..

Doesn't' help my work computer in my office is a Win 7 desktop. It also don't help I tend to poke the screen of my MBA as if it's an iPad :mad:

8. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

:D don't worry about that to much when my friends used my mac they made it so dirty by touching the screen:mad: but then I cleaned the screen with the cloth and every thing was better:D

9. Surely, May 14, 2012
    Last edited: May 14, 2012

Surely Guest

Surely

10. Janebrdn macrumors newbie

IPhoto app on iPad not working

Hi, I am relatively new to Macs. Have had a PC for years. I have been using iPhoto to edit all my photos whilst on a recent trip to Europe. Yesterday I upgraded iPhoto to version1.0.1 and you guessed it lost everything. No connection between iPhoto and photo apps. I have backed all the original photos onto my PC luckily and they are also still in Photo on the iPad (2). I need a bit of help .... I have closed IPhoto app, turned off the iPad but no change. What I want back is the 2000 photos I have edited and tagged with iPhoto. Are they lost forever now if I reinstall iPhoto? Second question ... How do I get the edited photos on iPhoto copied to my PC. Withought having to copy them one by one to the camera roll. I want to create DVD backups of them...that is if I ever use iPhoto again! I like the app as its a quick and easy way to edit the images but if no way to copy them to my Pc then it's no use to me...
    Please can you all give me some advice...thanks