New Guy with Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AzDesertTroll, Oct 12, 2011.

1. AzDesertTroll macrumors member

AzDesertTroll

Hi all,

Sorry to be "that guy" but I just bought my first Mac, a MBP 15 and since I have been a PC user my whole life I have a few questions. I will probably be able to sort most of them out through trial and error once I can get my hand on the computer and reading through this forum, but over the last few days I have been reading stuff and it is causing me to have more questions. I should add that I am probably over excited because my MBP arrived at my house yesterday, but due to work I will not be home again until the first weekend of Nov so I am not able to actually try the trial and error part that I mentioned

I hope that I don't start off on the wrong foot but here it goes...

1. I am very interested in the iCloud stuff but I am wondering how to merge stuff back and forth between two computers as I will still have to use at least one PC until after the first of the year. I am planning on phasing out the last PC with a iPad once the Christmas season (read bills) are covered...

2. Does the iCloud only sync the Apple software or will it do it with MS Office Suit (Word, Excel, Powerpoint & Outlook if I decide I don't like the built in mail program in the MBP) as well?

3. I have several email accounts currently (MSN-primary personal email account & IM, Yahoo-for the IM and to register for sites that generate junk mail, Gmail-was a test account and now used for junk site registering and a @ginl.state.gov-is a work only account) will the built in mail function allow me to manage all of them like I do now on outlook?

4. I was reading on the iCloud is no longer in Beta thread a little bit ago and people keep talking about .me accounts and mobile me accounts....do I need to get another email account to get into the cloud? If so how do I do that and add that to the list of email addresses listed in question #3

5. Also in the iCloud thread it keeps mentioning Lion and then different version of it 10.xx.xx Since I just ordered mine last week should it come with the newest version or will I have to pay for an upgrade as soon as I plug it in?

Again, sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for any and all comments.

2. Sc00tr macrumors regular

1) I think the easiest thing would be just to use dropbox.

2) icloud only syncs apps purchased from the app store, but that is difforent than the mac app store. So if you purchase an app on an ipad, it will show up on an iphone & on the mac it downloads in itunes in the app section.

3) yes after you configure it.

5) you will have Lion, but I dont know if you will have the latest update, which just came out today. Just click on the apple icon in the top left corner and update software. You will not be charged for that.

3. AzDesertTroll thread starter macrumors member

AzDesertTroll

Thanks for the info Sc00tr.

With regard to the syncing of software, will that also include the MS Office Suite for Mac?

Thanks

4. Sc00tr macrumors regular

mac applications themselves do not sync. The documents can if it is supported by the app. Apples iwork (pages, numbers, keynote) will sync the documents across all devices. Each individual application will need to be updated to support icloud. Recently there was also an update to a third party notes application that supports syncing.

5. AzDesertTroll thread starter macrumors member

AzDesertTroll

Thanks guys for the information and the links.