Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freshmex18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
I bought a 13" Macbook Christmas of 2007 (not sure what gen that is) and the case is starting to crack, again, right where the nubs above the screen hit the plastic just below the keyboard to the right of the mousepad. When my one year warranty was still in effect, I had the case replaced, but here we are, again, and it needs to be done, again.

Is there a way to replace the case with one of the newer aluminum cases?

Is there a case that fits made out of a stronger material that will not crack?

Is there a mod that can be done to a newly replaced original style case that will keep the from happening again?

Thank you for any help anyone can offer.

Chris

youssefm

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
Unfortunately the plastic cases cannot be replaced with anything but the plastic cases. There are tons of other options such as speck hard shell cases (they have see-thru cases that come in a variety of colors) and I think they are the best. Go to Speckproducts.com and see what they have, and use code buddy25 for 25% off =D

freshmex18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
The spec case is nice, but it doesn't really address the problem I have since it only protects the outside of the laptop. The damage on mine is on the inside, right above where the little flashing white light is.

Any other suggestions?

macindork

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
Yes, two:

1. Go to an Apple Store, they should replace the top case, even if the system is out of warranty.

2. Buy a Marware (not MALWARE) Protection Pack.

goliah

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2006
London, England
Similar problem

I also have a similar cracking problem, to the right of the trackpad, along the edge where the keyboard cover meets the body of the Mac. It started about 25mm from the corner and is very slowly moving towards the middle of the case. I have it taped over at the moment so tiny pieces don't break off!

My machine is also now out of warranty. While it was in warranty during the first year, I had a faulty hard drive replaced by Apple, and was very pleased with the service, when the cracking started, as always out of warranty, I suspected that the case might have been overtightened on that corner.

That presumes that there are case screws under the rubbers pads that must be undone to replace the hard drive? Can anybody confirm this for me. As I have yet to take this little beast apart myself.

If yes, I have an argument for replacement as the damage was done by the repair technician during the HD replacement.

macindork

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
That presumes that there are case screws under the rubbers pads that must be undone to replace the hard drive? Can anybody confirm this for me. As I have yet to take this little beast apart myself..

No case screws under rubber pads on MacBooks.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
If you guys would quit slammin' the lid down like it's a toilet seat I bet things would last longer. I watched some guy do this in a restaurant the other day.

Is there a PETA or something to call for mac abusers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.