Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aerodynamikh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
So, my old HD SMART status is reporting that its failing, and the odd thing is it's been a month and the hard disk is still working fine.
But for safety i bought a new Maxtor 329GB hard disk.
So i take out the old HD and put in the new one and insert the Leopard install CD.
But after the language choosing menu it says Mac os x cannot be installed on this hard disk.
So i went to Disk Utility and Partitioned it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and retried. But it still doesn't work.
What should I do?

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Did you use the correct partition type? GUID Partition table if you're using an Intel Mac, or APT for PPC Macs.

ekoe

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2008
London, UK
I think you need to format the new hard drive as HFS+ (journaled) in disk utility.
If I remember correctly, you do this by selecting the new drive choosing 'Erase'.
Someone more experienced please chime in here...
Alternatively, just do a search here or other Mac forums under 'format new hard drive'.
Best of luck.

aerodynamikh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Well i tried what i can, but at this point i just formatted the hard disk to FAt32 and installed windows. And i'm gonna bring the old hard disk to an apple store and ask them to reinstall mac os x. Do you think i will have to bring the entire mac pro or just the hard disk?

ekoe

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2008
London, UK
You need to actually 'Erase' the new HDD to format it HFS+ (journaled) so that OSX will install on it. Here's how you do it:
Step1
Open the system drive, usually titled "Macintosh HD." Open Applications, then Utilities and double click the "Disk Utility" program to open it. A window will open giving a list of all the drives currently mounted on the computer.
Step2
Select the disk that needs to be formatted on the left. It is not possible to format the startup disk unless the system has booted from the Install Disk. It is important to note that formatting the startup disk will permanently erase the data stored on the disk. If you are planning on erasing the startup disk, back up all important files and applications.
Step3
Click on the "Erase" tab to the right of the list of drives. The window will now display the options for erasing the hard drive and formatting it to work on the Macintosh computer.
Step4
Select the Volume Format from the pop-up list. In most cases it's best to leave it at "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as this is the default. This setting is the best option for running Mac OS X. If there are other requirements for the disk, then select the format that best suits your needs. If you have questions about the formats, refer to the Apple user's manual.
Step5
Name the hard drive. Type a name for the disk in the field where it asks for the name. This name will always appear when the disk is mounted on a Macintosh computer.
Step6
Click the erase button. A window will open asking to verify the erase procedure. Click the erase button in this window to start the process of erasing the disk. Once the process is complete, the drive will appear with the name it was given on the left side of the window with the list of drives and on the desktop of the Macintosh computer.

If you still want to take it into the Apple Store, they might have a USB to IDE cable so they may be able to work with the HDD alone. I dunno. I'd say give them a call before you go.

NoNameBrand

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2005
Halifax, Canada
He removed the failed drive, it's a new Maxtor 320GB HDD he installed and OSX is not installing onto it. ;)

Yes, I read of that problem here and in the other thread, but since everything I would suggest about that has already been suggested, I was replying to:

And i'm gonna bring the old hard disk to an apple store and ask them to reinstall mac os x.

Which is pretty silly if the disk has a failing SMART status.

ekoe

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2008
London, UK
Oh, I missed that he was asking about taking the OLD hard drive to the Apple Store. Reinstalling OS X won't help the bad drive. You could try Disk Warrior on it, but I don't think they'll do that for you at the Apple Store. Besides, you'd still have a drive that is problematic. Didn't mean to second guess you, Nonamebrand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.