Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crapday

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2004
Hi all, I have an imac g3 400mhz, slot loading cd and a 10gb hard disk.
I was looking on ebay and seen lots of hard disks for sale. I would like to know what HD to look for, for my computer as 10gb is not that big these days. Is it an IDE disk I know it's a 3.5 inch drive but will any make do or do I have to buy a special mac drive, can I fit a HD with any capacity e.g 40,80,120 or 180gb.
All your help on this matter is greatfully recieved.

Thanx.

Crapday. :) ;)

gundamguy

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2004
Any Ide drive will work

crapday said:
I was looking on ebay and seen lots of hard disks for sale. I would like to know what HD to look for, for my computer as 10gb is not that big these days. Is it an IDE disk I know it's a 3.5 inch drive but will any make do or do I have to buy a special mac drive, can I fit a HD with any capacity e.g 40,80,120 or 180gb.

Thanx.

I put an 80 gig Western Digital drive in my girlfriends old 333 imac a month ago, quite a step up from its old 6 gig. All IDE drives should work, since they are backwards compatible on the ATA standards.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
plus if you get a 7200 rpm deive with 8mb cache your speed will go up. things like opening folders with lots of files or app opening will speed up a good amount.

sonofslim

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2003
any 3.5" IDE drive will do -- there's no "mac specific" drive, nor do you need any particular size. depending on your PCI card, you may not be able to get one over 128 gigs, but that's really the only limitation.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Changed the drive on my sister's G3 iMac last week. It's not hard to change it, but it's not "intuitive" either. Make sure you get the detailed instructions. I got one of those "Mac Technician" CDs from eBay for a few bucks.

nargot

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Australia
crapday said:

Thanx.

what a great machine that is. I have read that alot of ppl put 80gb maxtor drives in

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.