New Hard Drive? 2TB Seagate GoFlex???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by andrew0122, Feb 7, 2011.

1. andrew0122 macrumors regular

I'm running out of space on my computer and am thinking about buying another HDD to relieve my iMac. Currently I have 750GB in my iMac, and 2 - 1 TB external Seagate drives for Mac (Mainly for the FW 800). Now I would like to get a 2TB Seagate GoFlex to dump HD movies on for editing and personal storage. I absolutely love the performance of my 2 existing Seagate's and am wondering if anyone has any experience with the GoFlex line of HDD's. It's primarily intended for PC's, but is also Mac compatible. The most appealing feature is the fact that it is swappable for different computer interfaces with dock options. (Have FW 800 at my desk to upload to the drive quickly then USB 2.0 to read from at a wireless router.)

NOW FOR THE REAL QUESTION AT HAND!!!

I have a Linksys WRT-610N wireless router and intend to hook the hard drive up to it. The GoFlex line offers a Net 'Dock' the allows you to connect to your hard drive anywhere in the world from the internet. . . Wanting to save myself $88 (and the fact that this Hard Drive doesn't actually sit in the dock...) does anyone know if it is possible to do this by simply connecting the hard drive to the USB port on the router? Any software to enable this?!?

Any and ALL responses would be greatly appreciated!

If anyone has any recommendations for an alternative drive or know of one that would suite my needs better please lemme know. Thanks again!

2. andrew0122 thread starter macrumors regular

. . . And now i notice all of the banner ads around the site. . . BEST TIMING EVER AWARD GOES TO ME!