New Hard Drive and Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by backwithblack, Oct 23, 2008.

1. backwithblack macrumors newbie

Hopefully this isn't a rehash of a past thread.

I just ordered a 500 GB HD and I plan to use that to replace the hard drive on my new Macbook (Late 2008 model).

I've backed up my data using Time Machine. From what I've gathered from various sources, this is my procedure:

1) Replace hard drive.
    2) Clean install Leopard.
    3) Use Migration Assistant and point it to the Time Machine backup when asked if I want to migrate anything.

Am I missing any steps? The only slight confusion is when I will begin to migrate data. Currently, I believe that I do this after Leopard has installed and while I'm setting up the computer (as I did when it first came).

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Migration Assistant will 'migrate' all of your user settings, apps and data but leave the system folder fresh. if you restore a Time Machine backup while booted into your install DVD it will restore everything to your new hard drive so it will be exactly like it was before. so system and users. depends on what you want to do!

3. backwithblack thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there an advantage to doing it one way or the other?

The only thing I've done so far on the macbook is to install apps like Firefox and Office and to import songs into iTunes. I'm the only one who uses the computer.

It seems like either way would be fine for what I need it for.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Wirelessly posted via a group of monkeys using a typewriter / Ribbon 1.1 / Paper 2.0

The advantage to using migration assistant is that there will be a clean install of the OS, which is supposedly a custom build, if you install from the restore DVD.

I'd say do it this way.